Chapter Twenty Nine

****

****

Limping as they walked slow, the family resembled the walkers that followed behind them on the road. Each and every one of them were exhausted as their aching bones and joints screamed in agony along with their starving stomachs.

Rick advised his people to leave the walkers alone and not to engage in any combat and everyone silently agreed as they did not have it in them anyway, except Sasha, who harbored deep anger over losing Bob. Sasha had whispered to Natalia and Michonne that they could handle the walkers and take them out, but Michonne advised the woman otherwise.

As they crossed a bridge, Rick had an idea of how to get rid of the walkers, and it was to simply move out of the way when they neared, so they would fall and tumble down the slope. The plan was aborted once Sasha decided to act upon her anger and rid of the walkers violently instead of listening to Rick's plan.

Natalia was furious at Sasha's recklessness; what she had done could have put them all at risk, especially since they were at their lowest. Before Natalia and Sasha could brawl, Michonne quickly separated them and warned Sasha one last time about her reckless actions; Rick later thanked Michonne for putting out the fire between his sister and Sasha before it escalated and caused more problems. Natalia, for the remainder of her time, grew cold towards Sasha and would find it difficult to take her as a friend.

Later down the road, there were cars that began to rust and collect dust; each and every one of them began searching the cars for food but the only thing that was found by Abraham was liquor.

Maggie, however, found a walker that was tied up in the trunk of a car and when Glenn told Natalia of Maggie's findings, Natalia truly forgot the dark activities that used to happen before the world was run by the dead. She even remembered her time with Daryl back when they were in Hershel's farm; the two had come across a house where buried children were underneath the floorboards.

Out of exhaustion, Natalia opened one of the car's door and plopped herself in the driver's seat, resting her head as she breathed deeply. As Rick checked on his sister who had Judith in her arms, Rick could see the exhaustion taking over his sister and he grew afraid that she would give in to it soon. A part of him grew fearful as he imagined himself losing Natalia like Maggie lost Beth; it was something that Rick dreaded and feared.

"You okay?" Rick barely managed to utter to his sister as he crouched beside her.

"I feel nauseous, but I don't have anything in me to throw up." Natalia sighed as she closed her eyes. "My stomach has never been this empty."

"We'll find something to eat, just trust me." A part of Rick was afraid that there was a chance that Natalia grew hopeless, but she took her brother's hand and reassured him.

"I know we'll find something. We always do."

———

The family sat on the side of the road as thunder began rumbling. Abraham took a swig from his bottle while everyone knew it was a bad idea. But Abraham didn't care. Daryl soon joined them empty handed and Rick indicated that they couldn't find anything to eat with a shake of his head.