AFTER|| Ghost of Christmas Past

Danielle squealed in delight as she watched the snow fall and stick to the outside of the window. She pressed her face against the cold pane, sticking out her tongue in hopes of catching the snow on the tip of it. The action was so innocent it made me smile, but it faltered the moment I snuck a quick glance in James' direction on my left.

He'd insisted he drive the SUV this morning. I'd suspected it was because of what tonight entailed, so I'd given in without much argument. If there was one thing I'd learned about James Pierce over the last three and a half months, it was that his parent issues extended far beyond his own rough upbringing. He loathed the very idea of meeting my parents that he'd put it off close to four months, finally caving after Danielle spent the entirety of the last week begging him to join us for Christmas dinner.

Through all the abuse and trauma that'd been endured, Christmas dinner with my parents had remained the one and only constant for the two of us the last five years, and I could understand why she'd want her new favorite person to be apart of such a special time for her. When I'd explained this to James, he'd buried a hand in his hair, then stepped forward and hugged me.

Our night together hadn't been brought up. There had been a silent understanding when we woke the next morning. We had been dancing around speaking on the topic for a little over three weeks, but I had no desire to bring it up. Even when he spent more time at our apartment than his own, and I was starting to miss him on the nights he was home far more than I cared to admit to anyone, especially myself.

Now, as he slowed my car to a stop outside my parents, I tensed, feeling déjà vu at the most inappropriate time. For a millisecond I was in Dalton's truck four and a half years ago, watching the hurt enter his eyes. But just as quickly as the image appeared, it was gone and replaced by James thumb in my line of sight as he reached over to wipe a tear that must have escape sometime during the last few seconds.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded slowly. "Yeah, just. . . the last time I was in a car outside this house with a man, it was the night I told my parents I was pregnant with Danielle."

James didn't need elaboration or further detail on exactly what I was referring to, and whispered, "Did they like him? Dalton? I mean before. . . before everything happened."

The idea of my mother liking Dalton at any point in time was so comical it made the left side of my mouth curve upward. "No. My mom hated him before she'd even met him, and when she did, she thought he was using me. Taking advantage of the fact I was pregnant with his child."

There was a long bout of silence before James asked.

"W. . . what about me? Does she feel any way about me? Should I be prepared for something?"

I shook my head. "James, breathe. They'll love you."

"Sure hope so." he grumbled, then catching Danni watching us in the rearview forced a smile and threw a look back at her, "You ready to go see Grandma and Grandpa?"

"Yes!"

He shot me a smile before he climbed out. I unbuckled Danielle and held her hand until James joined us, a fresh bouquet of roses in his gloved right hand. Danni giggled, and when I glanced up I found she was staring at the front door as my father waved at her from the doorway. She looked to me then took off in a sprint to my dad. Catching James tensed in my peripheral, I leaned in and wrapped my fingers around his bicep with an encouraging smile. He eyed me for a moment before his shoulders fell back and he led me up the stone path to my parents porch.