PROLOGUE: HIEI X KURAMA

Holding a palm to his throbbing head, Hiei rolled out of bed and gathered his clothes from the floor. His stealth always proved useful in these situations. Hand on the doorknob, he took one last look, memorizing the long, beautiful form sprawled across the mattress. It hadn't been his intention to go out looking for it, but when she came to him... it would have been impolite to turn down the invitation. After all of the drink he'd forced down, it came as a surprise that he'd been able to perform at all. Knowing he'd never see her again, he tucked away the memory for a lonely night.

And they would all be lonely, from now on. Gliding down the stairs from the second story of the inn, he threw his hood over his head and blended into the shadows. So far, he'd never paid a tab, and never been caught. Jumping from village to village had been easy enough, though someday he would run out of places to go. Chasing away that bitter thought, he released his Jagan and let it aid him. There was a new town, just a few miles south, where he'd never been. Something was pulling him there. A feeling.

The streets were muddy from the storms, such a rarity in the Makai. He'd felt the thunder in his bones, the bright, crisp lightning a comfort to him. It would be years before it happened again. Beggars approached him, in torn boots and dirty clothing. Softer demons might stop and place a coin in their hands. Hiei simply pushed them away, disgust plain on his features when they touched him. Their filth did not bother him. Their weakness did.

It was early, but that did not matter. The inn, and its bar, were open. He strode in, tracking mud across the old wooden floor. Cursing when he noticed the bottom of his cloak was caked in dirt, he slid onto a barstool and accepted the drink placed in front of him. A home brew, to be sure, the viscous liquor burned as it plunged down his throat, and he demanded another. After three or four, the desperate spinning in his head ceased, and that unspoiled numbness found him again.

"Drinking to forget?"

Scowling, he turned to look at the man beside him. He wore a hood, as well. Long red hair tumbled out of it. There was a delicate way about him, though Hiei knew better than to assume him harmless. A potent energy bubbled beneath the surface. Intrigued, but not enough to converse, he turned back to the glass in front of him, taking a deep swig.

A slender finger touched his wrist, and in his inebriated condition, his sword was at the man's throat a split second later than he'd planned.

"No killing!" the bartender shouted, pointing to a sign that said the same.

The stranger lowered his hood, shocking emerald eyes twinkling in the low light of the lanterns.

"Those who touch me do not live to see the sun set," he threatened.

"Settle down, Hiei."

"How do you know my name?" he spat, pressing the sword into his pale skin until a bright red drop trickled down his neck.

"What did I say?! Put it away or you'll be out on your ass before you can blink."

"Unlikely," he said under his breath, sheathing his sword all the same.

"You have a bit of a reputation. Word gets around."

"Hn."

It had been a long while since anyone dared approach him this way. The ones who tried were no longer breathing.

"I recognize those marks," the man said, pointing to the slices in his forearms, still raw and red. "I'm sorry, about whatever it was that drove you to it."

"You know nothing."

"Oh, I know more than you think. Including a way to help you find Yukina."

Vile, putrid anger pulsed through him, and he dragged the red-haired demon out of the bar by the shoulder of his cloak.

"Do not say her name. Do you hear me? I will rip out your vocal cords before you utter the first syllable if you try it again."

Hands up in retreat, the man shimmied out of his grasp and backed away. He started walking towards the woods, as if he knew that Hiei would follow. When they were deep enough where he was sure no words would be overheard, and stopped short and reclaimed his sword.

"Who the hell are you?"

"In this body I am Shuichi, though you may know me by another. My true name, the one of my soul, is Kurama."

Hiei laughed wickedly; he was being taken for a fool.

"You think I have not heard the stories of the great fox? If you feign to know anything of me, you must be familiar with my own history. Any bandit worth his salt knows of Yuoko. He is dead."

"I thought you might say that. There is only one way to show you."

A long whip appeared in his hand, green and covered in thorns. Grinning, Hiei prepared himself for the fight. How lucky he was, to have a victim wander directly into his path. Without the energy to seek one out, he'd imagined it would be some time before his next chance to kill.

The strange man fought ruthlessly, dodging each of his attacks deftly, as if he'd seen them coming. Impossible.Hiei found himself on the defensive soon enough, parrying and trying to avoid the sting of that whip. Seeing an opening, he lunged to strike, anticipating the end. When he approached, however, a vision flashed before his eyes. Flowing, silver hair, golden eyes, and pointed ears. The kitsune of legend.

He'd been telling the truth. The greatest thief of the past thousand years stood before him now, hiding in this fragile body. Sword falling to his side, he stared.

"What happened to you?"

"I will tell you my story. I believe," he said, the whip turning to a single rose in his hand. "That our priorities may align."

*******************************************************************************************

"I cannot pretend to understand your attachment to this human woman," Hiei said, polishing his blade with his back against a rock. "Though I am interested in your offer."

Kurama nodded, applauding himself for turning this untrusting, fiery demon into his reluctant ally. It was the first step of his plan, and he knew that without Hiei's investment, it would not work. He had spent years crafting a short list of the right people for the job, and he was the only one who met all of the requirements.

Admittedly, his attempted self-annihilation had come as a shock. His reputation painted him as cold and unfeeling, certainly not someone who could experience such pain, though it only made him a stronger asset. The more he cared about finding his sister, the more motivated he would be to follow through.

"Think of what could be achieved with an army like that at your back," he said, driving home his point.

He'd already passed on the key piece of information, that there were rumors of an ice maiden being held by humans, her tear gems harvested and sold on the black market. Kurama had tracked one down and verified its authenticity. It was her.

"If I'm to agree, you must tell me this. How did you know I had a sister? There are only a handful of people in the world who know the truth. You must have spoken to one of them."

Not ready to reveal his source, he simply said, "Do not worry. Your secret is safe."

"Hn. You know that I'll kill you if you're lying."

"I would not have approached you without an understanding of who you are at heart," Kurama replied.

"Heart," Hiei mocked, chuckling. "You are the only one in this realm to presume I have one."

Eyes weighing his new companion, Kurama stifled a longing to hug him. While much of his intel had been correct, none of it had formed a true picture of the demon before him. He was not evil or psychotic, he was simply broken. Perhaps he could be put back together.