Chapter 21

Y/n POV

I was in the council meeting as Daenerys sat in her chair as I'm standing. "Sons of Harpy, they want to put a collar back on my neck. On all our necks. Please, your Grace, you must kill him." Mossador pleaded to me. "It would send a message." I said. "I think you should exercise restraint, your Grace." Ser Barristan told me. "Why?" I asked him. "For one thing, he may have valuable information." Ser Barristan said as I had my hands behind my back. "The Son of the Harpy has no valuable information." Daario told us. "How do you know that?" Ser Barristan asked. "Because I questioned him." Daario told him.

"And the information you did get, he is young and poor." Hizdahr said. "He is born free." Mossador argued. "Why should he want to bring back slavery? What did it do for him?" Hizdahr asked as Daenerys spoke up. "Perhaps the only thing that gave him pride was knowing that there was someone lower than he was." Daenerys guessed. "They pay him. Great families afraid to do a thing. They pay poor man to do it for them." Mossador said to us. "And how do you know this?" Hizdahr asked him. "Everyone know this." Mossador said.

"I don't know it and I'm the head of a great family." Hizdahr said to him. "We do not know what this man did or didn't do. Give him a trial at least. A fair trial. Show all the citizens of Meereen that you're better than those who would depose you. Teach them a better way." Ser Barristan told me. "I do not know the place from where Old Ser comes. Things maybe are different there, I hope. But here in Meereen, before Y/n Targaryen and Daenerys Stormborn, they own us. So we learn much about them or we do not live long. They teach me what they are. Mercy, fair trial—these mean nothing to them. All they understand is blood." Mossadar explained to us. I looked at all of them. "Thank you all for your counsel." I said to them.

They all got up and left besides Ser Barristan who stayed. "Your Grace, a word, please, I beg you." Ser Barristan said. "About what?" I asked him as Daenerys went to go feed Jacaerys. "About your father. About the mad king." Ser Barristan told me. "The mad king? You're here to remind me of my enemies lies? Consider me reminded." I said to him not wanting to hear how my father went mad. "Your Grace, I served in his kings guard. I was at his side form the first. Your enemies did not lie." Ser Barristan told me.

I was only a child when the sack of Kingslanding came. "Go on." I told him. "When the people rose in revolt against him, your father set their towns and castles aflame. He murdered sons in front of their fathers. He burned men alive with wildfire and laughed as they screamed. And his efforts to stamp out dissent led to rebellion that killed every  Targaryen except three." Ser Barristan explained to me. I looked over to Dany who held our son close to her as she heard what our father done before looking back to Ser Barristan. "Me and Dany are not our father." I said to him.

"No, your Grace. Thank the gods. But the mad king gave his enemies the justice he thought they deserved. And each time, it made him feel powerful and right. Until the very end." Ser Barristan told me. Dany went to my side as Jacaerys tries to reach for me. I grabbed him and held him as he played with my hair. "I will not have the Son of the Harpy executed without a fair trial." I said making him sigh in relief. "Your Grace." He said before taking his leave.

The next day

A unsullied found the man that was waiting for trial dead with a Harpy mask on. They said Mossador killed him so now he is in front of us in the throne room in chains. "Why?" I asked him. "For you Mhysa and Fhysa." Mossador said before he kneeled before us. "You wanted the Harpy dead, but your hands were tied. I set you free, as did all of us." Mossador explained. "He was our prisoner, awaiting trial. You had no right." I told him. "He would rather rip your city apart than see slaves lifted from the dirt." Mossador told us. "There is no more slaves. There are no more masters." Daenerys told him.