17

The next few months we're critical for Riot and Carlton's survival. The police were investigating about the Life Foundation's sudden abandonment and how the victims died.

Before they had left, Riot had destroyed all the security footage so there was nothing to find. Carlton had wanted to return home to grab some things before they made their way out of San Francisco.

As Carlton was hurriedly packing, Riot spoke.

We will find a place, Carlton, don't worry.

"I certainly hope we find a place," Carlton replied with a wry smile.

If we don't there's always... another option..... Riot hinted slowly.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, but the demon realm isn't really....somewhere a human goes. Don't get me wrong, it's okay, but...it's different."

Riot hummed.

Are you done packing? he asked.

"Yes."

Driving will be simpler than flying, Riot said as the man turned off the lights. Less people will be suspicious about us.

"They don't exactly know you're with me, Riot," Carlton replied with a smile.

Yes, but there will be people looking for you. Might want to change you name.

"Yes, I know," Carlton sighed as he came to his car and started it. He placed the suitcases in the back and closed the hatch, climbing into the driver's seat.

Carlton....

Carlton hesitated on the clutch.

"Yes?"

Before we leave.... The demon trailed off softly.

Carlton squinted a little bit, waiting, but then Riot materialized his head. Carlton just had time to take a glimpse of gray and white before Riot surged forwards.

Startled, Carlton jerked back, not wanting those teeth to bite his lips, but made it as far as he could before his head hit the leather head rest behind him.

Riot chuckled as he kissed his human, Carlton thankful that the demon wasn't using his tongue this time.

"Riot," he breathed, turning his head away after Riot gave him air. "We have to go."

" Hmmm... " Riot rumbled with a wicked grin and dipped his head down to kiss Carlton again. Are you scared, my dear?

All Carlton could reply with was a muffled mmmfph so he spoke in their mind.

They're looking for us.

I'll protect you.

Yes, I know, but—- Carlton pushed Riot's head away and Riot licked his teeth with his tongue as he backed off a little. "They're going to track us with our car."

" Humans...so afraid of the dumbest things..." Riot replied with a fond sigh as he caressed Carlton's face with a tendril. Carlton grumbled and tried to swat the tendril away but Riot only laughed quietly and pinned his hands against the armrests.

"Hey! Don't do that!" Carlton cried out.

"I think you need some comfort, Carlton. You're stressed. Don't worry. Everything's fine. I'm here and I'll protect you..."

"Riot—"

Riot leaned forwards again before Carlton could lecture him again and smiled as his "lips" met the man's. Carlton tried to push him away again but he was securely attatched to the car seat.

Riot, stop kissing me, we need to leave , he pleaded in their mind.

Why? It will be a while before anyone comes to investigate...they're all at the Life Foundation.