13

Carlton woke up the next morning, feeling warm and snug. Something was wrapped around him...wait, no. Not something. Someone. And there was a lot of someone's.

He shifted happily as the gray tentacles cuddled him nicely, feeling them all around his arms, torso, thighs and legs. He was so wrapped up in the warmth that he was tangled.

"Good morning, Riot," he said with a smile as he tried to sit up but failed as he was pushed back down again.

Mmm, good morning, darling, Riot's deep, rich voice growled.

"We have to get back to work, y'know," Carlton said as he lay on his back.

I know .

"Then...then could you let me up?"

Riot's head materialized and gazed down at him, smirking.

Not until you give me a kiss, he smiled.

"Seriously?" Carlton muttered good naturedly but he did as he was told and placed a small kiss against that toothy maw. "There."

" Thank you," Riot grinned and kissed him back. Uncovering the man of his blankets, Riot got out another pair of clothes with a separate tentacle, bringing Carlton his comb with still another.

"What's the time?" Carlton asked, slipping into his work clothes.

" We have thirty minutes," Riot rumbled. " Plenty of time. Don't worry."

"I don't exactly know what to tell them because I don't think they'll understand if I—"

" Do not worry, Carlton. I will assist you."

After a quick breakfast, Carlton hopped in his car and drove to the Life Foundation. His palms were sweaty and he tried to calm his pounding heart.

Relax , Riot cooed from inside. There's nothing to be afraid of.

"I don't know what they're going to say, that's all. I always know what to say. If I don't have a good answer for them, then—"

Carlton, you always know what to say. You'll figure something out. A short pause. You always know what to say except whenever I'm in control...

"Stop. I'm trying to drive," Carlton muttered as Riot chuckled.

You're so tense, Riot observed. Would you like me to help you?

Before Carlton could reply, the demon had slipped a tentacle around his waist and another around his shoulders, gently rubbing and stroking. Two small feelers caressed his face tenderly, Riot whispering encouraging words to him.

"Just don't distract me too much, I don't want to crash," Carlton muttered as he instantly caved to the soft touches.

Riot grinned.

Of course, Carlton.

Carlton walked into the Life Foundation feeling very nervous and anxious about how his staff would reply to his sudden disappearance. And he hadn't let any of them know beforehand. He couldn't even if he had wanted to. Riot was forceful and they had been flying.

But now he was here and he was back.

He would have been more nervous than before but he knew that Riot was here and would help him. The thought was comforting and boosted his confidence.

As soon as he walked in the doors though, he was stopped by a guard.

"Mr. Drake? Where were you? We've been looking all over for you!" he cried.