Chapter One

The dress was a beautiful shade of off-white that matched my nails perfectly, and the bright red lipstick completed my glamorous look. I stood in front of the mirror, a smile spreading across my face as I admired my reflection. My fingers ran along the intricate lace detailing of the dress, and memories flooded my mind of me as a little girl, sneaking into my mother's closet and playing dress-up.

"Look at this one!" Everly exclaimed, bursting into the room with a stunning mermaid wedding gown in hand.

I immediately turned to look. It was a gown adorned with delicate pearls, stones, and detailed lace patterns on both the bodice and train. Each of the stones seemed to shimmer and sparkle, adding a touch of elegance to the already beautiful fabric.

"Isn't it just wonderful? Everly asked as her fingers touched the pearls on the straps as she playfully twirled.

"Oh, Jasmine, this would look so beautiful on you on your special day," Brielle gasped as she got up and dashed over to Everly.

I smile at the girl's excitement, feeling a flutter of excitement for my own wedding day.

"Oh my, this one screams beach wedding!" I exclaimed as I gracefully stepped down from the stool.

"Try it! Try it!" Everly exclaimed, pushing the dress towards me.

I took the dress from her hand, and it felt so light and soft. I dashed into the dressing room, pulled the curtains closed, and the dresser assisted me in taking off the ball gown I already had on.

Not long after, I emerged from the room wearing the dress. It was a perfect fit! The dress hugged my curves in all the right places.

Everly's eyes widened in approval as she declared, "That's the one!"

I twirled in front of the mirror, feeling like a true bride-to-be.

"Oh my God! Jasmine!" My mother, Elianna, exclaimed. "You look absolutely stunning!"

The best feeling was having my mother there to share this special moment with me.

"Do you like it, mother?" I asked, twirling around once more to get a good look at every angle in front of the huge mirrors.

My mother's opinion was important to me.

"It's perfect," she replied with tears in her eyes. "Oh, my baby girl is all grown up," she said, hugging me tightly.

I hugged her back and left my chin resting on her shoulder, feeling happy that she approved.

"I can't believe how beautiful you look," my grandmother, Winoa, said.

"Thank you, grandmother," I said, opening my eyes and seeing her watery eyes. It meant the world to me to have both my mother and grandmother's approval on such an important decision.

I released my mother and turned to embrace my grandmother. She may have had trouble walking at her age, but her arms were strong and wrapped around me in a warm, loving hug.

"Could this be the one?" Brielle asked as she walked to me and adjusted my long, brown hair to the front.

I smiled and nodded. "I think so! I love it!"

"I can already picture you walking down that isle, your feet gliding gracefully in the sand," Brielle said, her voice full of emotion. "The sun setting behind you, the waves crashing in the background," she added, a smile forming on her face. "It's going to be a magical wedding day in Aruba."

"It was generous of your in-laws to pay half the price for this destination wedding," Everly said, sitting down with a glass of champagne in hand.

"I really hope the weather holds up for the ceremony," my grandmother added with a touch of concern.

I had always dreamed of this moment, and now it was finally here. I felt overwhelmed with happiness and gratitude. I was surrounded by all of my best friends and family, and that made me feel so blessed.

The sound of a spoon clinking against a glass suddenly broke the moment. Everyone turned their eyes to the front of the room, where Mila, my sister, stood. A smile spread across her face as she stood tall in her short white dress. Why is she wearing a white dress?

"Time for a speech from the bride's sister!" My mother said happily, with a cheery clap.

I smiled as I picked up the glass of champagne from the table and made my way to the front of the room.

"Hello there, everyone," Mila began as she set the spoon down on the table. "Today is a wonderful day. As you all know, my beautiful sister, Jasmine, is getting married in four months, and I am so excited to be a part of her journey," she said, raising her glass in a toast.

Everly and Brielle accompanied me to the front of the room.

"As we are all busy preparing for the big day, I also have some exciting news to share with all of you," Mila continued. "Silas and I are expecting a baby!" She blurted, her smile radiating as she saw our mother and grandmother's shocked and happy faces.

"What.the.fuck?" I muttered as the smile completely disappeared from my face.

Is my sister really doing this to me? I locked eyes with her, and she saw my bulged eyes and icy stare.

"What a bitch," Brielle said under her breath.

"She's done it again," Everly replied with a shake of her head.

My friends are aware of my sister's manipulative tactics, since she consistently attempts to overshadow me.

"Oh my God! I'm going to be a grandma!" My mother exclaimed as she embraced Mila in a tight hug.

I snapped out of my thoughts and tried to push aside my disappointment. I knew I should be happy for her, but it was hard to hide my feelings. Mila once again managed to drown out one of my special days.

"What wonderful news this is!" my grandma said as she too dashed in to hug them both. "My first great-grand baby. I can't wait to spoil that little one rotten! We need a toast! Let's toast to this new blessing," she said, hurrying to grab the bottle of champagne from the table.

"We can't wait to welcome our little one into this loving family," she added.

"Yes, a toast," Mila said, raising her glass with a wide smile.

"Now, make sure you don't drink this," grandma said, looking up at Mila with wide eyes as she filled the glass. "We don't want you to drink alcohol while pregnant with my precious great-grand baby, it's only for cheering."

"This is the most wonderful news yet, today," my mother said. "Where is my phone? I need to tell your father." She dashed to find her bag.

I rolled my eyes and continued to sip on my champagne. I quickly slapped on a smile and walked to congratulate Mila on the news. I was not genuinely happy for her.