The Calm Before The Storm -26

I stand with our shrinking group next to the ever growing graveyard, my stare fixed on Dales dirt covered body as my dad says a speech

I stand with our shrinking group next to the ever growing graveyard, my stare fixed on Dales dirt covered body as my dad says a speech. " Dale could get under your skin , he sure got under mine. Because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought , how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave . Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale and he'd be looking back at me with that look he had ..."

I hear a small sniffle from Carl and I grab his hand tight as my own tears travel silently down my face " we've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him but he could read us. He saw people for who they were, he knew things about us the truth, who we really are ..." my gaze turns to Shane's at my Dads words we catch eye contact for a split second before he shifts awkwardly and looks to his feet.

" In the end , he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group is broken, the best way to honour him is to it un-break it set aside our differences and pull together,stop feeling sorry for our selves and take control of our lives, our safety , our future. We're not broken, we're gonna prove him wrong. From now on we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honour Dale."

I hope we can live Dales way with our humanity still intact but deep now part of me knows that's not going to be possible forever

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stand next to Beth as we discuss living arrangements with Hershel " sixteen people in one house that's gonna be a tight squeeze" my dad says but Hershel reassures him " Don't worry about that, with the swamp hardening and the creek drying up..." Greene interrupts " and with 50 head of cattle on the property, we might as well be ringing a damn dinner bell." He glances over to me as Maggie agrees with him but his scrutinising stare muffles her words and all I can focus on is how my breath quickened and how my palms became sweaty , god what is wrong with me.

I shake it off listening back into the conversation " All right let's move the vehicles near each of the doors ..." I take my dads orders as a que to grab my packed things and head to the Greene's house , Maggie and Beth help me with mine and Carls bags.

As we enter I see an excited grin form on Beth's face as she turns to me " Oh god what?" I ask nervously and she laughs " Well I think you should share my room with me , it will be so fun! Like having a sleepover every night !" She says her voice getting even more high pitched and I can't help but smile at her joyfulness , I'm glad to see her happy after her attempt I was scared she would never go back to the ball of sunshine I first met.

" Yes that sounds like an amazing idea " I say and she squeals then grabs my hand dragging me through the house we turn the corner and I bump into Greene , I let out a groan of pain as my elbow hits the wall and I hear a deep laugh " Damn Grimes that's like the third time you've come running into me , one might think it's becoming a habit" he says looking down at me as I clutch my throbbing elbow. "Very funny Greene , maybe if you weren't built like the Great Wall of China I wouldn't bump into you so easily" I fire back and he scoffs playfully putting his hand to his chest " You wound me Grimes , I thought we were becoming friends" he says and I smirk