Unexpected loss - 25

I sit on the wooden swing attached to a hanging tree , that's rooted in the Greene's farm

I sit on the wooden swing attached to a hanging tree , that's rooted in the Greene's farm . I uncurl my palm , taking of my bandage exposing my almost healed cuts to the cool air . The stinging yet numbing sensation seemed to soothe my body however my brain is anything but. I never thought of myself as an over-thinker before all this , I suppose I didn't really have anything to be a constant stress for me.

The worst was probably the night before an important track meet , Mr Smith's instructions and encouraging chants would be replaying in my head. Tommy was kinder then so he wasn't a problem , I wrack my head trying to find a strong negative in my past but I fall flat and then I truly see how picture perfect my life used to be . All until Dad was shot and I didn't think it could get any worse but it most certainly did.

Now the world has , well ended. I would say I have become an over-thinker. My head is plagued with constant , thoughts , emotions and questions but they are accompanied with lack off answers. They take over my whole being with a game of tug and pull till they totally warp my perspective and even I don't know what I truly believe anymore.

I see Dale's trusty bucket hat in its rightful place as he walks towards me , I feel myself relax as his presence may give me relief from myself but as he gets closer the troubled expression on his kind face is made clear.

"Hey Elodie" he greets me and I smile " You okay , Dale ?" I ask with concern and he chuckles " I forget how good your are at reading people , kid" my smile falters , obviously not good enough if I didn't put together that my mom is a cheater plus pregnant.

" So what do you think about this Randall Situation?" He asks and I sigh , I had a feeling he would come over eventually, he has been around the whole camp trying to get a save Randall group going. He speaks up again " Your opinion matters" I nearly laugh at that " No it doesn't , I'm just a kid . They ain't gonna value my opinion above the adults" I say and he shakes his head.

" Your Rick's daughter , that means something and he would listen to you." He says and I nod before leaning forward on the swing staring at him waiting for him to plea his case . " Look torturing people and killing them that isn't you , your kind , generous and smart like your Father but Shane , Shane ... he's different" Then it clicks in my head at that moment , I remember Otis' funeral . Shane's blatant lies and fake story , then the look i saw on Dales face. I tried to ignore the signs then because he was my uncle Shane and I Didn't think he was cable but now my opinion has changed and logic has kicked in.

" He killed Otis didn't he ?" I say to Dale and watch as his face falls and my suspicions are confirmed " He tell you that?" He asks " No I put it together, I have known Shane my whole life . He is like my uncle and I know when he is lying , the story he told was bull and I didn't wanna believe he could do it but I have accepted it now" I say calmly and Dale nods his head continuously, looking stumped .

Ok my turn to question him , " You want to save our prisoner ? Why ?" I question trying not to sound rude but I might have failed that by the look on Dales face. "Well because he his a kid , similar age to you and there is no solid proof he did any of those things his group did." I can't contain the scoff at his response.