Chapter V - Retribution

Warnings: subtle colorism/racism, self-harm, torture

✿✿✿

Tom Riddle wrote letters to Aurelie's teachers, dismissing her of all her classes for the rest of the day. He laid her down on the couch in his office to sleep. Immediately he went to the library for research on her curse. Tom met the familiar enormous library doors. The walls were proudly dressed in books and two balconies that disappeared around the corners. The restricted section was meekly lit by small candles melted into the surface of the wooden benches. He brushed dust away from the spines examining the lettering on dyed leather. He slid out the necessary volumes;

Arcane Curses

Curses of Psyche

Communications with the Dead

Leaving the library with the books in hand, he noticed Rosie Copperpot amble down the corridor with Laurie Sybilline beside her. She was Aurelie's mudblood friend, who'd been assisting her in her disoriented state, he honestly hardly noticed her. She was quiet and harmless to Aurelie. 

"Miss Copperpot, can I speak with you for a moment?" She waved off her friend and followed her professor into an empty classroom. "I've observed your friend, Miss Black, today. I don't wish to interrogate her with questions which in her state could feel...violating. The topic might be too sensitive at this time." Rosie started shaking a little. "I simply want to know what happened last night." 

Rosie didn't imagine Aurelie would want a professor to know about Cleary's attempt or her disoriented fit. "I—I don't know. She— Aurelie went to a party and came home very upset."

"And she did not tell you what happened to make her so?" He set the stack of books on a desk.

"No." 

"What was wrong?" He took a step closer.

"I don't know."

He raised a brow. "You don't know? Weren't you there when she came back to the dorm?"

"Yes but—"

Tom gripped Rosie's jaw with a strong fist, her eyes widened as he used his magic to force open her mind. Pushing past the many layers of her subconscious, he found the memories of last night.

Darcy Aberforth carried Aurelie into the Hufflepuff dormitory eliciting a shocked cry from Rosie who quickly took her out of the Slytherin girl's grasp. Her head lulled forward and fell onto Rosie's shoulder.

"What happened?! What did you do?!" She shouted struggling to keep Aurelie upright. She placed a hand on the back of her head, the other on her back, pulling her forward and close to her chest.

"Nothing! She was drugged by Cleary. We were taking care of her," defended Darcy. MR. Sybilline took the unconscious girl out of Cooperpot's arms and placed a hand behind her head.

"How long ago?" Rosie asked looking at Aurelie's immobile body. "How long ago was she drugged?!"

"A few hours ago."

"AND YOU'RE BRING HER HOME NOW?! I cannot believe you!" Rosie shouted throwing her arms in the air. "She trusted you. You should have brought her back immediately!" She gestured aggressively to the door. "Leave! Get out! Get out, all of you!"

Rosie Copperpot fell into a heap on the floor. Tom simply picked up the books with slightly shaking hands and a pounding heart as he left the classroom. He kept a cold demeanor as he walked back to his office.