02

Jude

I woke to the soft glow of sunlight streaming through the see through curtains. For a moment, I was disoriented, the unfamiliar surroundings reminding me that I wasn't at home. The events of yesterday came rushing back—the mix-up at the hotel, the full occupancy, and the reluctant agreement to share a room with Taylor.

I turned my head slightly, peering through half-open eyes to see Taylor still asleep on the bed. Her brow was furrowed, even in sleep, as if she were dreaming about the awkwardness of our situation. I sighed quietly, rolling onto my back and staring at the ceiling. This wasn't how I had envisioned my break in Mykonos.

Determined to make the best of it, I sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I swung my legs over the side of the couch and stood, stretching out my arms. The muscles in my back and shoulders ached, a reminder of yesterday's travel and the stress of finding out we had to share a room. I glanced around the room, taking in the scattered clothes and belongings—Taylor's sundresses and bikinis, my own athletic gear piled near my suitcase.

I watched as Taylor stirred, pushing herself up and making her way to the bathroom. She moved quietly, trying not to wake me, but I was already awake. I rubbed my face, trying to shake off the last remnants of sleep, and by the time she emerged, I was sitting on the edge of the couch, watching her with a mix of curiosity and wariness.

"Morning," I mumbled, running a hand through my hair.

"Morning," Taylor replied, her voice still thick with sleep. She grabbed a brush from her suitcase and began to untangle her hair. The silence between us was heavy but not entirely uncomfortable. I stood and stretched again, feeling the tension ease from my muscles.

"So, what's the plan?" I asked, moving towards the small kitchen. I rummaged through the supplies we have only to find a packet of instant coffee.

Taylor shrugged. "I guess we figure out if there's any chance of getting another room today. If not, we'll just have to manage."

I nodded, pulling out a packet of instant coffee. "I can make us some coffee. It's not much, but it's something." I offered a tentative smile, relieved when Taylor returned it.

"Coffee sounds good," she said, sitting down at the small table. "Thanks."

As I busied myself with the coffee maker, I allowed myself to relax a bit. The room was quaint, with whitewashed walls and blue accents, typical of the island's charm. I glanced out the window, taking in the breathtaking view of the azure sea stretching out to meet the sky. This was supposed to be a break, a chance to clear my head, and despite the rocky start, I was determined to enjoy it.

I placed a steaming mug of coffee in front of Taylor, and she wrapped her hands around it, savoring the warmth. "So, what brings you to Mykonos?" she asked, genuinely curious.

I leaned against the counter, my own mug in hand. "Needed a break," I said simply. "Life gets hectic, you know? What about you?"

"Same," Taylor replied. "Just needed to get away for a bit. Clear my head."

We sipped our coffee in companionable silence, the tension between us easing slightly. I was surprised to find that Taylor, despite her initial frostiness, seemed as much in need of a break as I was. Maybe, I thought, this accidental room share wouldn't be as unbearable as I had initially feared.

After a while, I glanced at the clock. "We should probably head down and see if the front desk can help us out," I suggested.

Taylor nodded, setting her empty mug on the table. "Yeah, let's do that."