Chapter 30

Kara sat on the carpet in front of the sofa, her legs crossed under her as she focused on her meditation. Slowly releasing her breath, she opened her eyes and concentrated on the golf ball-sized marble resting a few meters in front of her.

Face still relaxed, she tried to move the marble, with her mind. Concentrating her mind into a single task with incredible focus, she willed it to move. Frowning, she focused even harder on the marble, actually leaning forward a little. It. Would. Move.

Then the marble suddenly did go flying across the floor, batted aside by a tiny paw. The offending feline followed closely behind it, his tail twitching from side to side with excitement.

"Dexter!" Kara growled and almost got up. Feeling her hair still firmly held in Kori's hand, she sighed and settled back down, resting her head on Kori's legs.

"Please, what were you trying to accomplish?" Kori questioned, her hands never leaving Kara's hair as she braided a small strand of her hair on the side.

"Well, I have been able to use the Red Light of Rage twice now and, according to the Fortress' analysis of the Psion's little organ donation, I can also use the other parts of the light spectrum." Kara relaxed against Kori's body, giving up on her meditation and smiling as she looked at Dexter running around the room. "I was trying to use the Green Light of Will. Theoretically, it is the safest, although not the easiest."

"Good choice, Friend Kara. You are a very willful individual." Kori nodded and released her newly created braid, a satisfied smile on her face.

"Hey!"

"Speaking of willfulness, please, why have you not spoken with The Black Canary yet?" Kori frowned down at her, pulling hard on her hair and poking her in the forehead with a finger.

"Ouch, ouch, I will, I will." Kara tried to bat the finger aside, but Kori wasn't letting her. "I'm going out with Kal-El today. I'll speak with her tomorrow, I promise!"

"Humph, I will be watching you." Kori finally stopped poking Kara and started braiding a small strand of hair on the other side of her head. "Friend Kara, I only desire for you to be more 'traught'. Speaking with The Black Canary will promote exactly such an outcome."

"'Traught'?" Kara looked at Kori's proud face and thought about what she was saying before releasing a wail. "Nooooo, the pipsqueak is already polluting your mind with nonsense! Kori, listen to me because this is very important: 'Traught' is not a word, neither is 'Aster', 'Whelmed' or whatever other nonsense bird boy comes up with."

"It is... not?" Kori's face was completely flushed with embarrassment.

Suddenly, Dexter jumped on top of Kara's tights, the marble held firmly in his mouth. The cat looked her in the eye and dropped the marble into her hand, his tail twisting from one side to the other.

Kara didn't know cats liked to play fetch.

Grabbing the marble, Kara put it on the floor and watched as Dexter's butt started to wiggle. She flicked the marble, weakly, and it went flying across the room again, bouncing off the walls with a cat following closely behind.

Enjoying Kori's hands in her hair, Kara let the silence stretch between them for a few seconds. Eventually, Kara started to grow uncomfortable and, just as she was about to open her mouth, Kori asked.

"Friend Kara, did your plans go amiss yesterday?" The Tamaranean finally asked in a worried tone. "You arrived fraught with anxiety."

"I... Yes.... Yes, things went wrong, but also... not? I don't know!" Pushing her back against the sofa, Kara lifted her arms up, her fingers curling into a sign of frustration. "From a tactical point of view, yesterday was a major success. It was just far too expensive."