Chapter 29

Kara rested Talia's unconscious body into the suspension chamber and activated it, sealing the woman inside while making sure she was unable to wake up.

Turning to the side, Kara saw Red Arrow's body resting inside a second suspension chamber, with Clayface's mutated body frozen inside a third one. Stepping away from the pods, Kara halfheartedly threw her tablet at the wall.

The Kryptonian tech bounced off the wall and hit the ground twice before slipping under a crystal desk. Kara sighed and dropped heavily into a chair, her eyes never leaving Red Arrow's pod.

The boy was really dead. Kara had known it as soon as Faust opened his mouth. No, she had known it much earlier, when she had burst into the cave and been unable to hear his heartbeat. She had just refused to face it before Faust threw it in her face.

After the battle, Kara had to consider what to do with her newly acquired prisoners, and the mountain of documents and artifacts she had stolen from the League of Shadow's base. She didn't want to bring them to her home, nor could she risk her new company. That left her with the moon base or the Fortress. Kara had decided to use the Fortress.

It would probably mean explaining things to her cousin, but the Fortress was just better equipped to hold someone, and Kara refused to fuck up again.

Sitting on the chair, Kara felt the world starting to close in on her. What was she gonna tell Kal? What was she gonna tell Green Arrow?

Grabbing at her helmet, Kara tried to take it off, but Vortigar's last attack had melted part of it and damaged the lock. Growing desperate, Kara threw away her gauntlets and grabbed the helmet with both hands.

Her fingers found purchase on the deformed helmet and Kara pulled, her muscles strained for a few seconds until, with a loud 'crack', the helmet broke in half.

Breathing hard, Kara hurried out of the armor as fast as she could; only calming down when the metal protections were fully taken off. Sitting back down, Kara rested her head against her arms and tried to regain control.

For a moment, Kara took time to center herself, trying to use her lessons with Kal to recover. Slowly, her breathing returned to normal.

Inevitably, Kara glanced at where her tablet had ended up. Rao, she had to check on Dubbilex, tell Green Arrow, organize the Genomorphs at her factory...

Suddenly, a holographic projection snapped in place in front of her, showing her an image of Dubbilex resting inside one of the Fortress's healing pods. It wouldn't really do much for a non-Kryptonian, but it was fully equipped to deal with a long recovery period. It was comfortable, capable of monitoring his vitals, stimulating his muscles and easy to move. Karen sat by his side, her giant body already mostly healed thanks to her healing factor.

A second screen quickly opened up, showing her Guardian, Danette and Dr. Lockhart sitting at a table and eating.

"Mistress Zor-El, I thought you'd want to check on your guests." Jor-El's AI materialized in front of her, his hands crossed behind his back. "I'd like to remind you that you aren't alone."

"Thanks." Kara glanced at the AI and sighed. "Can you ask Kal to bring Green Arrow here? Red Arrow's body is here and I think he deserves being told in person."

"I am informing Master Kal-El now, do you need anything else?" The AI glanced at the pods, then towards Kara's pile of loot thrown at a corner. "I could start cataloging the materials acquired from the League of Shadows?"

"Right, there's that too." Kara narrowed her eyes at the pile. "Yeah, you can start. You can use the reprogrammed Morrowbots if you need to physically move anything. I think I finished... seven of them? Yeah, seven."