{32}

━━━━━━━ ☆☆ ━ OPHELIA was grabbing some food from the kitchen when Damon walked in.

"Okay. Spill the beans," He demanded.

Ophelia tilted her head in confusion before dropping the bowl in her hands.

He sighed softly as the beans spilled out onto their kitchen floor.

"That's not what—" He stopped himself from reprimanding her with a small shake of his head.

"Never mind. What do you know about Elijahs plans?" He asked her with slightly narrowed eyes.

Ophelia looks up, trying to remember anything he might have told her.

"Ummm... nothing? Why? Elijahs our friend," Ophelia mused softly.

Damon shakes his head. "Ophelia I love you but you're too naive some days. Your still learning about the world and I need you to trust that I know better,"

Ophelia furrows her eyebrows together.

"But—"

"I'm sorry I've been missing out on some stuff lately but the fairs coming back into town this weekend. I was hoping we could go," Damon asked her gently.

Ophelia stares at him still confused but nods. She was easily distracted by his offer, all she wanted was too be around her father again.

"That sounds nice. Can I finally play that game where you can win a pig?" Ophelia asked him excitedly with a few claps of her hands.

Damon chuckles and nods. "Yeah, I'm going to take care of all of this and we'll go play the pig game,"

Ophelia rushes forward to wrap her arms around him with a bright smile.

Leaving Damon feeling a bit guilty. Knowing how fond she was of Elijah. He supposed he'd have to make up for it at the fair.

• • •

They thought Ophelia was blissfully unaware of their sinister plans, as she was excitedly setting the table as Stefan had requested, her mind filled with thoughts of the evening ahead.

Elijah had shown up earlier which is why they were setting the table now instead of before when he arrived.

Katherine, her soulmate, was helping her, their laughter filling the air.

Once they finished Katherine went to the kitchen to grab a glass of wine. While Ophelia went to sit.

Elijah, always the charming gentleman, pulled her seat out for her, his eyes holding a fondness for her that Stefan hadn't failed to notice.

Stefan felt a heated glare form on his face as he stared holes into Elijahs head. Suddenly feeling less guilty about the whole plan to get rid of Elijah.

Ophelia smiled brightly when Katherine returned. Sitting beside her and kissing her forehead.

The evening progressed smoothly, with conversations flowing and laughter echoing through the halls.

Ophelia and Elijah found themselves engaged in a lively discussion about literature.

Ophelia hasn't read much but she did enjoy hearing about it from Elijah. He was speaking fondly about Dracula by Bram Stroker.

Ophelia admired Elijah's intellect and kindness, finding herself drawn to him in a way that she couldn't explain. Though it wasn't in the same way that she felt for Katherine, that much she knew.

Meanwhile, Stefan and Damon exchanged knowing glances, their plan forming in their minds.

They waited for the opportune moment, biding their time until the conversation lulled and the guests were distracted.