v. roses.

I've always dreamed of being in the field of roses, to run carefree in the midst of it; they are simply breathtaking. The floral scent of the flowers and receiving and inhaling it after an exhausting and tiresome day. It's consistently been my favorite, my safe haven, and the only thing that will never abandon you; it will always be by your side, which is soothing.

The plain white wall covering the four corners of the room, the white sheets engulfing the bed and the hospital gown I've been wearing for two days now. I had a high fever after that midnight swim, and my brother insisted that I be admitted to the hospital for him to check on me from time to time.

For two days, Enrique visited me with my favorite bread and a basket of fruits. He was worried and kept apologizing, as he thought it was his fault that I got sick because of the midnight swimming and I kept assuring him that it wasn't his fault.

"How are you?" Claira's voice echos in the room, and it made me draw my gaze at her. She was dead worried about me when she found out I'd been admitted to the hospital, to the point where she slept in here at night. "I bought you our favorite cookies."

"Thank you, Claira," I thanked her, beaming as she sat next to me. "I'm doing fine; I hope my brother discharges me. I can't stand any more days to sleep in here."

She embraces me and I'm immensely thankful to have a friend like her; she's the best and in times of darkness, she won't leave you. "I miss you at school today," Claira sighs, combing my hair with her fingers. "I know I can see you here but its different in school. I just miss your presence in the room. It's lonely to walk in the halls of our university."

"I miss you too," I uttered. "It's so boring in here. I mean, I only like visiting my brother after school, not to stay here the whole day. That's the whole different story."

We let silence engulf us. It wasn't awkward; it was more comforting to let your thoughts linger in the air while we let our presence embrace the lingering thoughts.

We broke free from our embrace when Enrique figure appeared at the door with a basket full of fruits and a bouquet of roses on the other hand. His eyes locked on mine and he seemed nervous as he stepped inside.

"Your prince charming is here," Claira smirked, and Maximilian entered at the door. "And he bought his side chick."

I laughed at her remarks. "You're just jealous, Claira," Enrique jokes and even in the short span of the four of us being around each other, we became friends, a four-member group of friends. "You won't have Max as your side chick."

"Over my dead body, Enrique," Claira remarks, fake gagging at Enrique. I knew my best friend wasn't interested in Max because, all along, she's always had her eyes on my older brother, Gregory, and he doesn't know that; no one does except for me.

"As if I wanted to be Claira's side chick," Max retorts, earning an eye roll from Claira. It was these little moments I had with them when I felt like I didn't have the right to lament about my life because, despite how I wanted to give up, they gave me a reason to continue, especially him.

"I remembered when you said your favorite flower is roses," Enrique muttered, walking towards me as he handed me a bouquet of red roses covered with a white satin wrapper. I almost cried up as my heart began to melt. I haven't received any flowers from anyone except my brother. "I saw it on our way in here and I just thought it would be nice to give it to you."

"In short, he thought of you when he saw those roses." Max intervened in the conversation, smirking at us as Enrique's cheeks turned crimson and he threw a death glare at Max, who wasn't fazed by what his friends were doing and Claira joined in drawing a heart shape in the air.

"Thank you, Enrique." I beamed at him. His eyes were full of bliss as I inhaled the aroma of roses. It enticed the soul so much that I was sure I'd fall asleep with a smile forming on my lips. "You don't have to buy me flowers."

"I wanted too," he said, his eyes gazing on mine, never leaving it as if he were scared I'd be gone in the blink of an eye. His finger softly caressed my cheeks. It was comforting and it feels like we're the only two of us in the room. "You have to get better so you're brother will let you out. I saw a new coffee shop across the street; we should try it."

"I'll look forward to it."

Usually, it was just me and Enrique that lingered till dawn, talking our hearts out but now it has become the four of us serenading the dawn with music that separates when the sun starts to rise.