Chapter Eleven

Episode Two: Blessings of St

Episode Two: Blessings of St. Coccyx

"Who did this to you?" The words leave Jack's lips as quickly as their eyes meet.

She doesn't have much time to prepare herself, the man instantly walking towards her, seemingly forgetting Fagin.

"Dawkins, I'm alright, I came here for more important matters." She says, trying to avoid his gaze when he stands right in front of her.

"You can hate me later and whatever is so important can wait. Again, who did this to you?" Jack grabs her chin, and she hisses. He lets go immediately.

There's surely a bruise on her chin and jaw from the way her father was holding it earlier. Figures, another bruise to mess up her face.

"It seems some don't like the hard truth and being told no. Before you panic, I didn't tell my father of your stealings. That's actually the reason for the bruising." She explains and she can see the immediate guilt in Jack's eyes. "I'm still pissed at you. And you." She points to Fagin. "But, I need your help, not with a medical procedure or a patient, but with more.... Illegal matters."

Jack grabs her arm gently, walking with her in tow to the hospital. She can tell the man doesn't want a conversation of this magnitude to be spoken outside with dozens of ears to hear and interpret.

When they make it to his room, he lets go of her arm, and she acts like she doesn't notice Jack shooing Fagin away, the man giving a roll of his eyes but walking towards the deeper parts of the hospital. Jack shuts the door, turning to her.

"I'm going to clean that blood off you." Jack says, and she watches as he moves, grabbing various cloth and watering them with a pot.

"I really don't see the need-" she tries to argue.

She is still pissed at him. He did steal from her and kept it from her. There is a chance he would have always kept that secret if he weren't to get caught. Regardless of that, she can have an anger towards the man and realize she needs him to help her. He can benefit her, and well, if he says no, she can just tell authorities that he is the theif. She doesn't want it to come to that, she wants Jack Dawkins alive, even if he is insufferable.

"Aurelia, please. If this isn't out of the kindness of my heart then take it as me helping you keep your title. We can't have a daughter of the Emerson bloodline looking like a fool." Jack interrupts her, causing her to cross her arms over her chest.

She wants to hate him. It would make life easier if she did. She knows he is wanting to clear the blood so he can get a look at the damage. It's just a few bruises and scratches, but he is a doctor. It's only understandable that he would want to be thorough. Or, he wants to check for himself that she is okay. She would hate him if she could, but he is kind. Even when he acts like he isn't.

"Only because you're a doctor." She finally caves in, allowing the man to move a chair towards her, sitting in front of her.

"I do care, you know?" Jack says, dabbing the cloth against her cut cheek.