Chapter Three

Episode One: The Yankee Dodge

He should have never signed that damn paper. Well, he would've read the slip if his brain let him. But alas, the interruption of Aurelia walking in caused him to lose his thoughts momentarily, and he signed that damn paper.

He lost the bet. Darius cheated, he's sure of it, but he still lost. And now his hand is on the table, he needs payment or his hand will be chopped off. As if he can do any work with one hand, his hands are his livelihood. And to make matters worse, he gets paid nothing. He wouldn't consider himself broke, but that type of money doesn't come with his line of work.

Getting punched in the face never helped, so to say his day was going to hell would be an understatement. The only thing making him feel some joy was the fact a surgery was in order, and while some would laugh at the idea of blood and lost limbs bringing him joy, it was a hard work of his he found exciting. And would he consider himself a showoff? Maybe, but hey, the crowd finds enjoyment in the surgeries done, he gets a few coins, and who knows, one good surgery with the right show could pay off his debt. If he was lucky.

Which so far, he was. He picked tails and the coin flipped. He won. The crowd gets to watch his work, he can put on a show, prove his talent and let his skills win him some money. Well, that would be all lovely if it weren't for Albie Emerson being in the stands alongside his daughter. When Aurelia spoke of the meeting, he assumed it would be at the Emerson estate, not here, at his work, where he is bloody and some would consider cruel. His day just happens to get worse. A beautiful lady is in the stands, there is no doubt about that, but that lady and her father are royalty to this colony, it makes all hopes of some fortune and luck run out.

"Gentlemen," He pauses for a moment, considering whether or not he should acknowledge Aurelia, "Gentlemen and Miss Lady Aurelia, Dr. Sneed here seems to think that I can't amputate this leg les than his record of forty-three seconds." He allows the crowd to boo, taking note of how Aurelia doesn't seem interested in the surgery but more so the book in her hand. "Well, I beg to differ!"

The crowd cheers, and it is then Aurelia looks up from the pages, her eyes casting down to him and Mr. Champflower, he takes that moment to go towards his patient, giving the man sympathy in a way to help ease any of the pain the man will face. He may put on a show, but he also cares for the wellbeing of his patients, even if others may disagree.

He grabs a knife, flipping it in the air and catching it gracefully. A show is a show

"Time me."

Cut to the leg, sawing of the muscles and bone, force the blade deep into the skin, and the limb is gone. Sewing of the stump, cutting the string, and "Time!"

"Twenty-eight seconds gentlemen."

He smiles to himself, his hand open for Sneed to drop the pound, letting the crowd cheer. Tim walks over, allowing the men to drop whatever they please into a hat, and he takes this moment to look, seeing Albie look at him with a pleased expression, grabbing his daughters arm to gently move her out of the stands.