Vol 4/ Chapter 118: Contract Magic formation

"Hee hee, the contract magic formation! I know about this one. It can turn a familiar's body into elemental form and bind it to the master in a symbiotic relationship. They say it was invented by one of the founding members of our Sage Council!"

Judith commented with great interest. Overall, beast tamer was a rather niche profession on the continent, as practitioners not only required decent elemental affinity, but also had to meet certain standards in martial arts and physical abilities.

Don't be fooled by Brennan mostly using fist and foot martial skills in combat - he was essentially a true dual cultivator of magic and martial arts. The beast tamer profession was naturally far less widespread than mainstream adventurer jobs like mages and warriors.

"Turning the familiar's body into elemental form - you mean materializing the actual elements?" I asked curiously. Whether it was Nicola's Condensation Sword, my Water Abyss Sword, or Beluto and Saint Angel Cyra summoning weapons from thin air, those were typical examples of materializing pure, singular elements. But going the other way around and elementalizing an already existing physical body was new to me.

"Correct. Only by becoming elemental can the familiar establish a symbiotic bond with the innate magic power within the tamer's body," Judith elaborated knowledgeably. "Everything in this world is formed by the six great elemental substances, differing only in the varying composition ratios."

"Since Brennan only has fire elemental affinity, his magic power is of the fire attribute. So when the familiar's body is elementalized, out of the six great elements composing its body, only the fire element can resonate and connect with Brennan's magic power on both spiritual and physical levels. The higher the fire element ratio, the deeper this connection - known as the compatibility."

"Once the symbiotic relationship is established successfully, the familiar's spirit will reside within the host, feeding off the host's magic power and able to materialize for combat at the host's will. A more compatible familiar can utilize the host's magic power more efficiently, growing faster in strength. Moreover, as the tamer's own magic power continues increasing, so will the familiar's - potentially without limit."

I understood now why Cysper thought the phoenix was so suitable for Brennan. As a highly fire-elemental being, its body would be composed of a very high fire element ratio, meaning extreme compatibility with Brennan's fire affinity. Coupled with the innate skills and bonuses of a mythical beast, securing a phoenix was akin to finding a celestial weapon.

Conversely, if a being had absolutely no fire element like angels or vampires, establishing a contract with Brennan would render it utterly stagnant regardless of power, being an utter burden due to zero compatibility.

Of course, that's an extreme scenario. Angels and vampires weren't naturally occurring species anyway. Even in the natural world, creatures like fish had at least 10% fire elemental composition in their bodies.

"It's starting!"

The contract process was simple. As the magic formation activated, Brennan stood in the center while the newly hatched phoenix chick was placed elsewhere within the formation.

After a blinding blue flash, the chick vanished, while an intricate tiny formation pattern appeared on Brennan's arm alongside two existing ones - meaning he now had three familiars bound to him.

"For a long time, you won't be able to contract any new magical beasts, or your body won't be able to take it!" Yulanda walked over concernedly to remind Brennan. One could imagine having three familiars residing within would heavily tax his magic power reserves daily.