chapter 2-change

I crack open the door just enough that I can barely see through it. I've never met a police officer before and I honestly have no clue what they are here for. "Diane Mitchell you're being placed under arrest for drug possession and distribution" says the taller of the two male officers with a harsh voice. "We have a warrant for your arrest. Please come out of the house with your hands up."

I panic, I don't know what to say and when I don't say anything for a second he moves to grab me. I step back a bit Instinctively which only makes him angrier. "I'm sorry officer, my name is Ciana. Diane is my mother, she's not here right now." He stalls for a second, his hand midair. "We weren't aware that she had any family." Says the other, kinder looking officer. He reaches behind him and pulls out a paper " We have a warrant to search the property and I want to see some sort of evidence of who you are, Miss."

"I'm 14 sir, I don't have any identification." I say moving to open the door for them. This is honestly the worst time for them to come. I had a feeling this would happen sooner than later, my parents didn't really care about the law.

I open the door fully knowing that I either do it willing or they will just force themselves in. I look back into the house, it looks miserable even if I've been cleaning it for a little while now. "My God are you alright?" I hear. I look back toward them but find both of their eyes looking at my face. Shit. I forgot all about my bruise, or bruises. Their eyes quickly take in my body, I'm only wearing some sleep shorts and a sweatshirt right now which leaves my bruised legs, bloody feet, and my face open for them to look at.

I shift on my feet, well this just got a lot worse. The taller one quickly changes his face from anger to pity. A tag on his uniform says his name is Davids. Officer Davids looks behind me. Noticing the state the house is in.

I bow my head, trying to avoid their stares. " Why don't you come with me honey." Says the other officer with kindness in his voice. He gently takes my hand before leading me to the police car on the driveway. "Let's sit down, your feet have got to be hurting you"

I let him lead me away from the house as officer David's moves into the main room, calling for dispatch on his radio. I'm too far away to hear what he's saying though. "My name is officer Evans but you can call me Matt. You said your name was Ciana kiddo?" He says well open the back passenger door for me. I nod moving to sit down. "We're getting an ambulance to Check you up and look at your feet. Is that glass in them?" He questions looking into my eyes with sorrow. I can't even imagine what he's thinking right now. "Yea I was trying to clean up the house but there was glass all over the floor." I say quietly.

I really hope that my father doesn't come home right now. That would be the worst timing ever. He would definitely blame me for calling the cops, I can't even imagine what he'll do to me when he figures out they've been here. I shiver.

Matt mistakes my shiver for being cold in the fall weather in Michigan. He leaves, opens the trunk of the car, before coming back to me with a small blanket. Opening it up he wraps it around my shoulders and makes sure it's tight around me. I give him a small smile. "Thank you"

"No problem kiddo. The ambulance should be here soon." I sigh, I really don't want more people to see me like this, I was honestly hoping I could chalk it up to getting in a fight at school but with my mothers apparent criminal record and the state the house is in I don't think they'll believe me for a second.

We sit there for a few minutes in silence before officer David walks back out of the house and towards us. " The house is clear." He says to his partner before looking at me. "Holding up alright?" I nod not meeting his eyes. I still remember his angry look earlier, it reminded me of my father a lot.

-

I sit in the back of the ambulance as the EMT who told me her name was Claire looks over my feet. "Yup you got that glass pretty stuck up in there." She says looking up at my face. I keep a blank look, watching her closely as she moves my feet around. "I'm going to give you some pain medication for your feet okay?" She says softly, moving towards a cabinet to most likely grab a shot. "Could you take off your sweatshirt so I can give it to you love?" I know she's seen my legs but that's no we're near the state of my chest and back. I quickly try to think of an excuse. " Umm, I don't have anything underneath this. I don't need pain medication. I'm okay. It doesn't hurt that bad." She looks like she wants to protest but decides against it. I realize it's because we're slowing down. We must have made it to the hospital.

-

I somehow managed to convince my doctor that I don't need a full body check. I'm not comfortable with them finding all my bruises and scars. Even with my legs in the open I feel way too exposed. Right now I'm laying on a hospital bed with my feet wrapped up like a mummy's. Officer Matt is still with me. He told me that since I'm an unaccompanied minor that someone needs to look after me and that he volunteered until a social worker can get here.

He's obviously trying to keep my mind away from the current situation, telling that he and his wife are expecting twins later this year and all about his high school days. I like him a lot. He give me a great feeling of comfort when I'm around him, I know he'll make a great dad someday.

-

An hour later I'm sitting with Matt and a kind older lady that's working as my social worker. She had demanded that I get my blood drawn to search for any relatives of mine. I tried to explain to her that I had a father named John Mitchell but her and Matt's face had instantly dropped. They are now talking to each other quietly. Looking towards me every once in a while.

This goes on for about 10 minutes before I get sick of being in the dark. "Please just tell me." I interrupt. They both turn to look at me guiltily. "Well" my social worker starts. " John Mitchell got into a fatal car accident late last night.... He passed away dear." Matt cautiously watches me for any reaction. That wasn't what I was expecting. I can't really think of anything. Dead? Was he actually dead? I wait for the pang in my heart or the emotions to start flowing but nothing happens. He was a father to me but he wasn't a good one that's for sure. "Luckily we were able to find your family through the blood test."

"I don't have any family." I interrupt "both my parents' families are all dead."

"About that sweetie, John and Diane were not your biological parents. They didn't even adopt you hun. You've been a missing person for 10 years. Your real name is Ciana Aleesia Ambrosi not Mitchell. We can only assume that they kidnapped you when you were 4." She pauses again letting me take in the shocking information.

I don't really know how to feel about it. Mother and father well I guess Diane and John never did really treat me like their own kid. Ever since I can remember they have always been making me do a crazy amount of chores. The beatings didn't really start until I was about 10. But even that isn't a normal way that parents treat their kids. I never really had many friends at school but I overheard the conversation my classmates would have about their families growing up and it was never like mine. I always just assumed that John and Diane just were stricter but I guess not.

"We've been able to contact your real family. Your mother and father passed away a few years ago but thankfully your siblings have agreed to take you in, they've been looking for you for a long time."

"I have siblings?" I question, I've always wanted a sibling.

"Yes honey. In fact you have quite a lot. 6 older brothers." Lord save me, six? My face pales. "Your oldest brother Aleesio is on his way here now. It's going to take a while though, they live in Italy love, I hope you have a passport.'' I think she's joking, well I hope she is because I've never gotten one. I don't even know where my birth certificate is. I guess it would make sense that I don't have one though considering I was kidnapped.

I can't really wrap my mind around that. Somehow I don't know how to react from all of this new information. I kinda just feel numb.