He cleared his throat, but his voice was still shaky, "You're right. I cannot deny it. I did dread the day that you would ever find out" his hazel brown eyes gazed at me hopelessly, "we both know how unforgiving you are" he ran a hand through his grey hair, "but you have to know that I love you, Emily. I was too scared about how you would react. I had lost your Mom; I didn't want to lose you..."

"And yet you replaced her quite fast..." I muttered under my breath. He heard me and sighed.

"I'm sorry, Emily...there's not much I can say or do about it right now...just know that I'm deeply sorry about it..." After a few seconds of awkward silence, he added "I know it won't fix things, but I'm getting a divorce."

"Good for you, I guess...you're getting rid of those leeches..." A small smile played on my father's lips.

"Leeches is the best definition for them" He said as he shook his head.

My lips twitched a bit for a moment. Dad noticed and took that as a good sign, because he relaxed his stance a little bit.

"I have a proposition for you." He said in his deep business-like voice.

I stared at him for a second in silence. What on earth could he propose to me?

"About?" I pinched the corner of the bread and brought it to my mouth.

"I want to open an office here in London. And I want you to run it."

Deep down, I was actually happy about it. I had worked at his company from the bottom, meaning that I had earned my position with long hours of working my ass off to actually get a good job. And I had loved it.

Being stuck with Lady Pompous was starting to get on my nerves. The woman was too egocentric to actually care about other's opinions and she pretty much worked around a tight circle of friends. The perks of actually don't needing to work on the first place...But I was too proud to ever admit that. Mostly to my father.

"I already have a job."

An amused smile played on his lips. He knew me really well. I assume that he already talked to Lady whatever and had a pretty good idea at how things worked around her. "But" he grabbed his steamy mug and added smugly "you signed a contract."

I narrowed my eyes at him at the same time I wanted to actually jump and make a happy dance. But I stayed quite composed, not showing any emotion at all.

Damn. Why couldn't I act like this around Scott?

Because around him you tend to not think at all...

"It hardly seems like a proposition at all, Dad."

He chuckled. All previous tension forgotten. For the moment being. "I guess it's not."

A small relieved smile played on my lips. Seeing him in pain wasn't pretty at all. I shrugged, "Ok. I was going to quit my job, anyway."

Dad laughed, "I bet you were!"

"Hugh's in it, you know?" He raised a knowing eyebrow at me, "I talked to him an hour ago and he accepted it immediately."

Oh, I bet he did.

"It's settled, then. When do I start?"

"Next week. I'm looking at some real state to actually locate the office there." He peeked at his cell phone, "I have an appointment in fifteen minutes." His hazel eyes watched me warily, "I'd love if you came with me..."

My whole body stiffened. I wasn't ready to go back to work with him as if nothing had happened. Because it did. And I was still hurt by it all...

I shook my head. All smile forgotten. "I don't think it's a good idea..." I trailed.