Chapter 48: The Second Catastrophe

The next morning Ray headed straight to Star Academy.

Since he was no longer a Professor there, having been tactically asked to resign from his position after the scandal involving his family, he had to report to the office to receive permission to meet a student.

"What do you mean he isn't a student anymore?" Ray was shocked after hearing the news.

"Mr. Rohan Claeg submitted his withdrawal form this morning and has already emptied his dorm room." The receptionist informed him.

"Can you at least give me his contact information? I need to talk about something important with him." Ray gave her a charming smile, hoping his good looks could give him an advantage.

Unfortunately, lookism wasn't as influential as had hoped in this world.

"I am sorry, Mr. Ray, but you are no longer a part of the Academy faculty. As such I cannot give you a student's private information, especially with your current situation." The receptionist denied his request within a heartbeat.

'The reputation of the Laxon Family is coming to bite me in the back. Should I have tried to save the family instead of running away with Izzy?'

Agonising over the future hardships this would bring him, Ray headed back to his car.

"Hey, isn't that him?" Deus, Ray's Spirit, pointed out, as they were entering the parking lot.

The boy sitting at the bus stop, a duffel bag on his shoulders, and that gloomy appearance was definitely his former student - Rohan Claeg.

Ray quickly brought out his car and drove to the bus stop where Rohan was waiting.

This might be the only opportunity he would get to talk with this student now, so he grabbed it without hesitation.

"Hey, Rohan Claeg, right?" Ray carefully pulled up beside him so as to not startle him.

"P-Professor Ray?!" Rohan was surprised to see his former teacher suddenly approaching him.

"Are you doing well?" Rohan could hear the caution in the professor's tone.

'Does he already know?' There was no other reason why a Professor would chat up with a student who didn't even respond much during his classes.

"I am doing fine, Professor." He decided to lie, just in case.

"I see. I heard from the other Professors that you were quitting the Academy."

'Ahh. He already knows.' Rohan lowered his head in shame.

Seeing Rohan's scared response made Ray feel guilty as if he was interrogating someone.

"I wasn't interrogating you or anything. I was just worried about you."

Despite his attempts to clarify, Rohan still looked frightened.

Ray sighed in frustration "Hah...I think the bus is gonna be a little late. Want me to give you a ride?" Ray offered him. This would also give him a chance to talk with the boy regarding recruiting him to his party.

"Um, a ride..." His hesitation was very evident.

"What, you think I am going to take you to some Demon and make you sign a contract?" Ray joked to lighten the mood.

Rohan coiled further away in fear.

"Just in case it wasn't clear, I was just joking." Ray quickly added in the end, seriously praying that he hadn't chased away his chance with the boy.

"Just get in, I will drop you off at your home." He was being a bit forceful, but Rohan's indecisiveness had surpassed his expectations.

Rohan finally got in the car. "Please drop me at the nearest subway station."