Chapter 30: The Laxon Family

Soon, the day of the ball arrived. Various guests had already started arriving for the party. The staff members were frantically running around, trying to display their best performance.

They had to since all the attendees today were famous figures in high society. Any mistakes would be fatal to their career.

In the grand ballroom, stood many powerful and beautiful personalities. Some were conversing about recent politics, while others were indulging in alcohol.

Glamorous dresses illuminated under the large chandeliers.

Champagne beige tuxedos.

Peacock blue gowns.

Wine red skirts.

But if you looked carefully, among all these unique outfits, there was one thing common to all. On all their persons, glittered shining gold. Some wore it in the form of ornaments. Some had golden threads sewn into their clothes.
In the middle of the large hall, stood a large fountain. But instead of water or chocolate, what flowed inside was molten gold. Large golden lions surrounded the magnificent structure. It was clear for all to see that this celebration was unlike the others.
But if one only looked deep enough, they would find that under all these blinding lights, not all the gold was glittering.

"Wow, the President really went all out for this party!" One waiter commented in the corner of the grandiose hall.
"I know, right? Do you think it's true?" Another asked.
"What are you talking about?"
"You know. The fact that the Aurum Guild is going under!" He whispered after glancing around to make sure that nobody wasn't within earshot.
"Shh! If anybody hears you, we will both lose our lives." He quickly covered his friend's mouth.

"What are you two doing here?" A manager suddenly came towards them. "There are guests everywhere. Go attend to them."

Thankfully, it seems he hadn't heard about their discussion. The two waiters quickly scampered away to do their assigned tasks.

"Let's hope the worst doesn't come to pass..." The manager whispered under his breath, before returning to his post.

As the last of the attendees were announced into the banquet hall, a black Audi R8 Spyder rolled in at the entrance gate.

"Looks like we are a little late." Misa's voice contained a hint of arrogance, radiating main character energy as she gracefully exited the car.

"Thankfully the hosts haven't arrived yet. It would have been bad manners." I commented as I handed the keys to the valet.

"By the way, aren't you gonna enter with your family? You are a Laxon, too!"

"It doesn't matter much to me." I extended my hand to her. "As a man, wouldn't it be better to enter with a beautiful woman like you."

Misa giggled at the compliment as we gracefully linked our arms before walking through the entrance.

"Announcing Misa Amore and Ray Laxon!" The commentator announced.

All the eyes in the ballroom darted to the entrance door upon hearing two unexpected names together. To their surprise, standing at the entrance was a most unexpected duo.

Ray looked like a modern aristocrat in his black tuxedo paired with a navy-blue shirt. A golden lapel chain adorned with a large sapphire hung from his collar, while a matching sapphire earring dangled from his left ear. With his nightly black silk gloves, his entire ensemble exuded a sense of refined elegance.

Beside him stood Misa Amore, looking every bit the modern-day princess in her exquisite sea-green gown. The dress featured a captivating high-low hemline, flowing gracefully to the floor at the back while rising to just above her knees at the front. Completing her enchanting look was a pair of delicate golden glass slippers that adorned her dainty feet, reminiscent of the beloved fairy tale character Cinderella.