Five

[Y/N]'s POV

You see the questions in his eyes, but Mihawk doesn't say a thing, as he knows you can't answer him.

You are worried crazy about his state, as his usually so secure steps feel uneasy and agonizing.

You have every right to assume that he was locked up in there ever since he helped you run away.

Throughout your childhood and young years, the torture's limit was always one week, as anything more pushed both of you so far from reality that sometimes it threatened that you would never return.

Mihawk always took it better than you. Or at least, differently. You usually screamed at the beginning, and after you couldn't anymore, you cried until your tears were gone too.

After, you only lay on the cold stone of your cell and tried to cover your ears as much as you could.

Your brother only got angrier as time passed by. His grief turned into silent, bottomless fury against the man who did this to you.

He sat there, glaring into the sunless pit of the darkness, where his glowing eyes were the only source of light.

Now, he looks shaken, yet that gleaming of the golden pair just grew deeper than ever before.

The young man is breathing heavily as your voice still cries around him. It hurts you too, but it's not nearly as bad as for him, especially after such a long time.

But he lets go of his ears when you hear someone coming from the stairs opposite you. You can't stop him as he moves forward so fast that you barely catch his movements.

The guard didn't have time to react before his neck was twisted by Mihawk's hands, and his lifeless body fell down to the ground.

You stare at him almost frightenedly as he looks back at you, deranged and lost.

He looks dangerous and raw, but as you look into his eyes, you see the hurt, quiet little boy, who is dragged back to the surface by the curse lingering around him.

He must get away from here as soon as possible. If he gets far enough, he will be out of the Devil Fruit's range, and my voice will return to the one who stole it.

"I need my sword back," he says silently.

He takes a deep breath and hides his trembling hand.

"You should go, [Y/N]," he states, trying to stand straight despite the weakness of his body after a month of starvation and lack of sleep. "I will settle things here and return to you. I promise."

You freeze completely as he mirrors you, everything you thought when you left Shanks behind today.

I can't let that happen.

You walk up to him and push a piece of paper into his hands from your pocket. He lours as he takes it, reading quickly as distant noises sound from above you.

'Go to the town's port and look for a man with red hair and a straw hat. His name is Akagami Shanks. He will help you. It's far enough for the voice to stop.

I will take their attention and follow you soon.

My power has changed. I can stop time for longer. It hurts less, too. I'll explain once we are free.

You must trust me, Mihawk.

Just this once.'

He looks at you with doubt, but you walk up to him and hug him tightly.

Please.

Your brother thrills but nods, anxiously stroking your arm. Relief runs through your veins as he nods in agreement, even if you see how hard it is for him.