28

Over the next few days Cregan made true on his promise, ensuring that his wife got a tour of the entirety of winterfell and it's surrounding lands.

Whenever Cregan tended to his duty as Lord, she found herself falling back on her friendship with Willem Blackwood, the Lord practiced his archery alongside her after which she and Cregan would practice the sword (which often resulted in them leaving early to rendezvous in the weaponry or any closet nearby),

Valaena didn't love the North yet, but she was growing soft on it's harsh conditions. She had dragged Willem Blackwood out in the gardens with her talking to him as she drew flowers on her sketching paper.

"Are you not insulted." Hummed Valaena as she put aside her pencil and stared at the Lord who sat reading a book. "What for?" She placed one hand in the soft fur of Frost, Cregan's direwolf whom he left with her almost every moment they were apart.

"Willem." They had shifted over to first name basis, much to Cregan's approval who was glad one of his closest advisors had become Valaena's friend.

"Gods Valaena, my sister likes to very much rule in my name, I've given her the opportunity, the men may call me your lady in waiting all you like."

Valaena chuckled, throwing back her head to bask in the sun for a bit. "I still have no ladies here."

"Do I, Frost and your maidservants not suffice?"

Rolling her eyes at the remark, Valaena scoffed softly. "A married princess is supposed to have ladies in waiting."

"Did you have those at the Red Keep?"

"No, I've only been wed to Cregan for.. eh almost a moon."

Valaena sighted as she retraced the flower she had drawn with her finger, slightly smudging the lines. "Were you supposed to have those, had you wed your uncle Prince Aemond?"

Valaena's mind went absent for a second, thinking of the love she bore for him only a moon ago, it had started to fade slowly, but within a month he already had started to feel like a distant stranger. Valaena swallowed, bile still rose in her throat at the reminder of his betrayal. She felt embarrassed at the lenghts which she was about to go to, weeks ago, if only to stay with him. How come those few weeks had started to feel like years ago.  "Yes, but I don't need them."

"Princess Valaena, a letter."

A smile overtook Valaena's face as she got to her feet, not expecting her brothers to write back so soon as Jacaerys was a bit lazy of late, and Lucerys such a dreamer, Valaena grinned as she waved the letter in the air before sitting back down.

Her smile however turned sour as she noticed the Green signet. She had a mind to throw the letter out, but curiosity got to the better of her, and she hummed as she tore at the letter.

"This is dated quite long ago? Why hasn't this been delivered to me upon my return to winterfell?" Called Valaena out as the servant had already walked away. "I do not know Princess I found it on your tray just now."

"Would you find out why it's postage had been delayed?"

"Of course Princess." The boy dipped his head to show his respect before speeding off. Valaena frowned as her eyes scanned the words.

"Alicent is inviting me to Aegon's nameday."

"The Queen?" Questioned Willem Blackwood.

"Mhmm."

"Hasn't it already passed?"

Valaena nodded, her hands slightly quavering as she dipped the quil that came with her writing supplies in ink and started writing on a piece of drawing paper.