Wait

"Kai?" She knocked on the door. "Are you in there?" But, like always, she knew the answer. 

She had been coming to the room once a month on the 27th. No matter if it was a Tuesday or a Saturday, she was always there, right on time. Of course, she came other times too. Like last Monday and yesterday. Actually, she came every day, but on the 27th, she would come at precisely 10pm. He didn't know if she knew - what was he saying, she obviously knew - but every single time she knocked on that door on the 27th at 10pm, he could feel the dagger in his chest.

Silence. 

"Okay, well, I'm leaving you dinner."

More silence. 

She sighed, long and heavy. "Look, I know why you're all depressed now. I know. I get it. But here's the thing, Kai. I miss you. You're not the only one suffering. So please, would you come out now? And have a normal conversation with me? Like nothing ever happened?" She regretted those words as soon as she spoke them, but it was too late. 

"'Like nothing ever happened'?! How could you say that? You know that nothing can be undone." 

She could practically see the smoke rising from the room, a fire that later she would extinguish, as she had been doing for the past year. Or, at least it felt like a year. She had lost track of time at this point, her only job being to try to keep Kai from killing himself or running away or starving. 

Nope, who cared about her social life or anything like that? It's all about Kai. When her parents had first told her she had to, she couldn't believe her ears. Sure, he probably would've left Ninjago by now if it wasn't for her, but then she would be free. She didn't necessarily want him to leave, but if he wasn't there then she could focus on her. Just her all day. 

That was a dream too far to reach. 

The way she saw it, the faster she got Kai talking and out of his room, the better. So far, all her attempts had resulted in failure, but one of these days, he was going to walk out of that room normal again. Maybe he'd even try a second time, because she knew that Cole hadn't gone anywhere. 

He was still standing at that door, waiting and crying. 

--------------

Kai knew that eventually, he would have to come out. Either he would get tired of staring at the same charred walls every day or get caught sneaking out of his room to take a shower. But he planned on delaying that day as much as possible, because right now, he couldn't come out. 

Not wouldn't, not shouldn't, but couldn't come out. 

And it's not just due to the fact that he looked like a train wreck every time he looked in the mirror. 

He knew, that if he went out, someone would see him. And they would remember what he did. 

Mostly, he was scared that Cole would remember.

Flames raged inside of him. The plain beige of the walls gazed back at him, and seemed to move, as if they were scared. All the posters had been burned down, all the pictures crumpled in a corner. Every single thing that reminded him of the past had been destroyed. He couldn't think about that anymore. 

So in the dark of that room, he let his fire run wild. He knew that when he turned the light back on, the walls would be black and burnt, but he couldn't care less. He knew that Nya would be mad at him, but he didn't even hover on that thought for a second. 

He just let the burning out. 

------------

Many days later, something shifted in the fabric of the universe.