teiju

"bullshit."

the suddenness made you jump a little. "what's bullshit? I think you'd know if I wasn't being honest."

"you didn't theorize anything, you came up with stupid little scenarios based off of no scientific data." he cackles at your realization of the obvious sarcasm.

"shouldn't have used that word." you mumbled.

you both finally arrived to senku's makeshift house. it was flimsy, seeing as he obviously didn't have the strength to carry out a lot of the tasks required to make a sturdier home.

you felt a weighted, soft blanket on your shoulder. senku threw a decently large amount of deer skin toward you. the softness felt refreshing, and you quickly began to tie it around your body to your comfort.

you then looked around senku's setup, saddened by the painful excuse of a bed.

"let's make a house." you say, surprised by the suddenness of your words.

"already have. can't you see?"

"i see a pathetic house. a house. with a furnace, a bed, and other necessities."

"neither you or I have the physical strength to carry this out."

"so.. we'll get teiju to help us out. have you seen him?"

"I've been planning to bring him back after you." he looks at you with a bored expression. with his eyes, he points at the clay made bowl containing a mixture of liquids he was clearly trying to perfect. "I could use some of his muscles."

you smile at the remark. he swirls the liquid around the bowl. "I'll be right back. don't die, you dunce"

"thanks. will do."

---

he walks off, a concealed bottle of clay in his hand.

you look around, and realize you were famished. ignoring the hunger until now wasn't a good idea at all. thankfully, your mother taught you a thing or two about cooking, as she constantly scolded you whenever you were slightly off with measurements.

it was the one thing you one upped senku in. so, you grabbed a thin lengthy stick and made your way towards the river.

...

You realized you had no supplies to carry the fish out with, so you made do with a strange fish kebab. You hated the smell of fish more than anything in the world, but it was all that's edible and within reach.

you also took with you some ingredients you picked up on the way over to the river. conveniently placed shiitake mutations circling around trees, as well as plants that weren't even native to Japan. luck was on your side.

you decided on gathering some salt off the sand by a nearby beach. and without a second thought, you began to prepare your three fish, one extra for three teiju's arrival.

You began to create a fire off the materials senku already had gathered, and in no time, a total of four whole fish were cut, cooked and seasoned.

you forgot how much this relaxed you. it made you think of your mother, who would call you over any chance she had to teach a thing or two. you'd eventually remember a whole lot about cooking. you're grateful.

hope she's still hanging in there... wherever she is right now.

night came quick, and the fish have finished cooking. you worried that the smell would attract other animals, but your worries quickly faded as a familiar face began to appear closer and closer.

there was another face accompanying him.. teiju!

you bounce up, sprinting over to him for a big hug. he gladly takes your embrace, even as he smells of bat droppings.

"looks like you've made do here." senku notes, looking at the fire. "try placing the fish a little higher next time, keeps moisture and retains nutrients."

you huff, what a little snake. he takes notice and smirks at your irritation.

"man im starving, id devour a fish right now." teiju places his big hands on his abdomen. you smile, letting him know you saved him an extra one. he immediately jumps in joy and races to the flame. you grab one of the few clay flat plates senku had around and served him his two fish. you follow up with senku, taking notice of the way he observed your hands.

"to be honest, I'd burn the fish. i know how to cook, I just can't do it." he finally admits. teiju laughs at this comments, and adds on.

"when we were kids, we had a field trip to this cheese factory. they let us mix around our own little batch of milk to turn into cheese and take home." teiju begins to crack up, "senku added some sort of mystery ingredient that caused the cheese to turn red."

this made you join teiju in a mountain of laughter. senku rolls his eyes, picking at his whole fish.

"how the hell do you turn cheese red, senku? 'you add a beet in there or what?"

"eh, close enough. anatto seeds. gives the cheese its signature yellow look. i tried adding some onto my batch, but added way too much and caused it to turn deep red."

you wipe a tear off your eyes. "man, someone as analytical as you turned cheese red instead of yellow? that had to sting."

"anything is possible." he simply replies, clearly annoyed. he eats his fish, eyes closing as he opens his mouth.

the laughter eventually turned to friendly conversation. catching up on stuff you missed out about your school mates, family events, or anything remotely interesting. senku didn't say much, only the occasional small inputs and the quiet huffs of laughter every once in a while.

"call it a night? we have work to do tomorrow. " You finally say, getting up and placing your plate aside.

teiju shakes his head, bouncing up. "I haven't felt this energized in a long time! i feel great! I don't need sleep." he turns to senku, who only raises a brow.

"what's the work? throw it on me, I can handle it." he smiles ear to ear, as the fish seemed to have restored the last remaining bits of him on the inside.

"a house. decent size for us three. you can start by cutting some trees down. I've made a makeshift axe with some stone pieces." senku points over to the tool, a clearly sharp and very defined blade.

teiju nods, trotting over to pick up the axe and he stays near, using the fire as a light source to guide his hits. it took a while, but he managed to get a pretty thick tree down.

"now to cut, refine, and get into the next step of humanity's rebirth."

"not as exciting as I'd imagine." you comment.

he smirks, "not yet, but soon we'll be making inventions that catch up with our times, and surpass them."

with that, you decided on calling it quits and you walk over to a corner of a tree and lay your head down. making sure you were near the beach to use the sound of the waves to sleep to. didnt take long for the sleep to creep up and attack, but it did so, and you were out cold.