depetrification

"tick.."
"tick.."
"tick.."

there it was again. the sound of drops. you've only started to hear them recently after all the time you've been stuck in place. since that day, doomsday, as you refer it to.

"tick.."

but this time was different. this time you not only heard the dripping against the stone cold walls of wherever you may be, but there was a massive rush of energy that circled throughout your systems.

"tick.."

a harsh light invaded your vision, your pupils shrinking from this sudden change. there was a cool breeze gently blanketing your face as bits and pieces of rock fell apart out of your body.

...

rock?

what was this? where are you? where the hell is every-

"finally. I almost gave up on the nitric acid solution." a voice, deep and monotone, sunk your thoughts.

you were just about to ramble, every thought that's raced across your mind all the time you've been stuck. he places a hand up before you could let your first word out.

"I'll explain everything, once you're not covered in bat shit."

it didn't really hit you, but you were naked. whatever you were covered in ate away your clothing, and took apart a good amount of the jewelry you wore to school.

the boy held his hand out, you couldn't see much of his face, only the slightly glint of his scarlet red eyes. you took it, your body almost rejecting the touch as it shivers from the contact.

how long has it been?
mom? my dad? was my family safe?

miraculously, you had the balance to stand and walk. you felt weirdly energized. as both of you slowly came to this cave's exit, you could see more and more of the green that laid out across what was once pure concrete walls and streets.

you could also see more and more of him. you almost came to forget how much prettier he looks up close. the lighting difference did him favors, as the harsh white light from school took away from his dark aura.

there he was. senku ishigami, and he was the best person to turn to during something so inexplicable.

you both take turns going down the cave, he holds out a hand to keep you from falling on your face. and it was then where you were able to truly take in just how much was really covered by the tall unkempt grass and large trees.

You quickly made do, and used a combination of tied blades of grass and leaves to make a simple enough cover for your body.

he didn't say a word. he'd let you take in the new setting first. a side of you wanted to go back into whatever state you were just in and pretend it was all a bad dream. this couldn't be real.

"where.. did everyone go?"

"same as you. rock. i figured out the correct combination of chemicals to break past it."

of course he did. even during something so confusing, the kid had his head in tact.

"what does any of that mean, senku." you became irritated by the confusion and embarrassment of the lack of clothing. "what happened to my clothes?!"

"I don't care about any of that. and I told you, batshit comes out first."

you might go bat shit crazy if you don't get an answer soon.

you were both able to reach a river. you couldn't even tell where in Japan you were anymore, as any geographical landmark was slowly sucked away by the hands of Mother Nature.

you wasted no time stepping in the water. you needed to think, think clearly for the first time in a long time.

"please tell me what the hell-"

"It has been 3,700 years. the world fell back into the stone ages after humans and technology were taken out.

"what do you mean taken out?"

he paused, surely thinking of a way to put it lightly.

"remember that light we saw before everything went dark? it had some kind of petrifying effect on our bodies. im going to bring us all back, and find out why this happened."

"so how were you able to bring me back.. how am i alive?"

"you ask a lot of questions." he smirked. the arrogance remained after all that time, you noted.

"you seem to give me plenty room to ask."

"I took a close look at the rock-like material you were covered in, and using science, came up with a compound strong enough that would break down the material's makeup." He pauses again. "as for how you're alive.. the material seemed to be extremely conservative, and likely slowed our biological development by a massive amount."

"I just so happened to be your test subject for this experiment?"

"couldn't find teiju. you made do. any more questions, class?"

"am I going to stay looking like this until you save the world?"

"no, I have some fur from last night's hunt." he signals you to follow him and you step out the water, uncomfortably close to his side the minute he mentioned "hunt."

"animals are alive..?" you retort to the topic.

"yes. but it means we're no longer on top of the food chain. so watch out and don't die."

"don't die." you mumbled. you didn't understand anything anymore, but you couldn't dare go to the topic of your family, friends or the old life. only one thing was left to do, and that's to bring them all back.