Chapter Twenty - Juliette

As soon as we enter the house I'm hit with the less than pleasant aroma of sale beer and man musk. Every girl's dream party, right?

The spacious room leaves much to be desired. On one side of the room is a small kitchen with dilapidated cupboards and flaked off countertops. On the other side is a makeshift living area with a television and a futon. Opposite it, a makeshift living area hosts a television and a futon. Though there are hanging lights dispersed throughout the room and a nicely arranged bar area with assorted hors d'oeuvres. At least they tried.

My eyes immediately scan the room for Christian amidst the growing crowd and booming music. However, he remains elusive. Instead, I find myself locking eyes with Landon, who leans against the kitchen countertop.

Quickly I turn to go stand next to my newfound friends while I wait for the real reason I came.

Engrossed in a heated discussion about the latest Met Gala looks, I'm interrupted by the sound of a man clearing his throat beside me. My body tenses, and I attempt to storm off in anger, but Landon gently grasps my arm.

"J please. I just need to talk to you for one minute" Landon pleads.

I turn swiftly to face him, my gaze stern. "There's nothing to say Landon. Frankly I'd really love to just never speak with you again. So let's just pretend we don't exist to each other."

As I move to leave again, Landon steps in front of me, placing both hands on my shoulders.

"No i'm not leaving you alone until you hear this. Christian is dangerous. He's involved with some really bad people. You need to stay away from him. I'm fine with you never talking to me again I just need you to promise me you'll stop seeing him" Landon says urgently.

Brushing his arms off mine, I cross them over my chest. "You have got a lot of nerve trying to tell me what to do or who to see when you have probably been with half the school since we broke up. Oh wait or was that when we were still together?"

Making another attempt to bypass him, I scoff as he speaks, more exasperatedly this time. "You know that's not true. But I get it, I deserve everything you're saying to me. But, J, if there's one thing you'll ever listen to me about, it's this."

I step closer to him, meeting his gaze, "Landon, hear me loud and clear because I'll only say this once. I don't care what tactics you try to use to get me to stop seeing him. It won't work. I love him."

With that Landon looks at me like I just stabbed him in the gut as his body slumps in realization. "You love him?"

"Yes, I do." I say as I make my final attempt and succeed in moving past him. In doing so I spare one last look in his direction at the boy whose heart I just completely shattered. If it wasn't over before, it's definitely over now.

                                                                               —---------------------

I head over to the bar, seeking solace in anything that can help me forget the encounter with Landon. Part of me feels sick, witnessing the hurt in his eyes. Despite our many problems, I knew deep down he truly loved me, and I've just gutted him by professing my love for someone else. What does that say about me? Do I fall too easily? Do I give my heart away too fast? I shake off the thoughts as I down two tequila shots and order a beer to steady myself.

I make my way over to a corner of the room right next to the hallway in order to unwind with my beer for a moment before rejoining conversations. Where the hell is Christian?

Instead of Christian, I'm faced with yet another unwelcome visitor.

"Hi, pretty girl," a gruff voice greets me from the hallway. Even from that brief interaction, I recognize the voice. Elijah.

"Oh look he speaks more than just in grunts and growls" I retort, not bothering to spare him a glance.

Elijah brushes my arms and swings himself around so that he's standing in front of me. As I begin to turn away, yet again from another male tonight, Elijah speaks in a hurried tone.

"Woah woah wait. Just give me a minute and after you hear what I have to say feel free to call me all the curse words in your head after I leave" he says putting his hands in surrender.

"Keep wasting my time and the curse words won't just be in my head" I say with an annoyed tone.

"Well you must just have the boys lining up with your infectious charm, don't you" he says with a smirk.

"Ugh, see, this is what I'm talking about" I mutter, rolling my eyes.

"Okay sorry you're right I couldn't help it. You're kinda cute when you're all mad and brooding at me," he adds.

"Elijah speak or get out of the way"

"I came to say, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so rude to you when you came to the house before. I hope you can accept my sincerest apology. I hope that one day we could even be good friends" he says earnestly.

"Assuming you're being genuine right now. What makes you think I should just forgive you at this moment?"

"Well other than my devastatingly good looks and masterful charm, at the end of the day, anyone who's Important to my brother is important to me"

I ponder his words for a moment. If he's genuinely apologizing, maybe I can chalk up his earlier behavior to just being protective of his little brother. Besides, as long as I'm with Christian, I'll have to be around Elijah, so I might as well figure out how to get along with him now.

"Okay, fine but -"

Before I can finish my sentence Elijah's face pales at something behind me. The hairs on my arm go up; it's like I can feel who just entered the room.

Behind me, Christian stands in the doorway, looking at Elijah with a murderous gaze.