Chapter 13 - Christian

Sitting across from Juliette in our tiny college-town cafe feels like I'm on top of the world. I can't believe how lucky I am to have this amazing woman giving me the time of day. But as we chat away, guilt creeps in about our not-so-accidental meeting. Elijah had every right to be mad, but resisting Juliette, especially after seeing her with that Landon character, was impossible. There was this gut feeling, an instinct, that kicked in when I saw how he talked to her, compelling me to become more than a mere spectator—to become her protector.

I put down my coffe cup, which was supposed to be a simple black coffee but came with way too much 'fluff' than I'd normally go for. I try to listen to Juliette, who's rambling enthusiastically about who knows what, but my mind is overtaken with thoughts about how incredible I think she is.

"And that's how I managed to get gluten free chicken nuggets back on the Friday menu at campus," she declares, pulling me back from my thoughts.

"Well, isn't that something," I reply with a smirk. "All of the gluten free folks on campus should be thanking you for the luxury to indulge in such a pleasurable treat."

Juliette takes a sip of her chai latte, giggling as she sets the cup back on the table. "You were hardly listening. I can tell."

Leaning against the table, propping her head on her hands, she playfully challenges,

"Come on then," she says, "Give it to me, what were you thinking about?"

I impersonate her stance and lean in and say, "You really wanna know what I'm thinking about?"

She leans in even closer now, her eyes glance towards my lips in a seductive manner as she says, "Yes Christian, I want to know what you're thinking about right at this moment."

Her openness catches me off guard, and I start to sweat a bit. But I like this side of her—strong, confident, in control. I just hope I played some part in making her feel this way instead of the shy girl Landon tried to paint her as.

My main goal is to make sure she feels safe, always.

I lean in closer prepared to give my retort when something behind her catches my eye.

In the distance, I see a figure staring into the café's windows. Standing by a lamppost, hands in pockets, he looks almost frozen, snowflakes falling on him. At first, he seemed like a mannequin, but on a closer look, I recognize him—the man from the alleyway. The one who could expose everything I've worked so hard for. The one who knows the truth.

The man who could put her in danger.