Chapter Fourteen - Juliette

"We have to go, now." Christians abrupt shift in demeanor startles me. His rigid posture and furrowed brows are a direct contradiction to the calm and stance he held only moments before. I glance around the cafe, searching for a potential threat, but I come up empty handed - what could prompt such urgency? Did I say something wrong? Was I too forward?

Reaching for my purse that's slung on the back of my chair, I look to grab a few dollars to settle the tab for on our table.

"No, leave it. I'll pay," Christian says as he pulls a wad of cash from his back pocket, tossing down more than necessary to cover the bill. He grabs the jacket that is draped behind my chair and holds it out for me, I'm guessing in an attempt to get me to move faster.

As I stand up my heart falls to my stomach. At the entrance I hear the laughter of a group of guys entering, and I can't help but wonder if Christian knows them. Is he trying to avoid being seen with me? Is he rushing me out to prevent an awkward encounter with his friends? Christian gently takes my arm and ushers me toward the back entrance and I feel as though I'm going to cry right then and there.

As we get outside I feel the chill breeze hit my face and I think the shock of the cool air is the only thing that halts the tears from flowing down my face. I'm embarrassed, and all I want to do is go home and erase this moment. Christian releases my arm and attempts to place his hand on my back, leading me down the alley behind the building. I make it a few feet without looking at him or saying a word,

As we continue down the street, my sadness morphs into unparalleled anger. I whirl around, fury evident on my face. "What's wrong with you, huh? One minute you're asking me out, and the next you're afraid to be seen with me?"

My anger intensifies, the heat rising on my face, and tears threatening to break free. I refuse to be the girl who lets someone walk all over her again.

To my surprise, Christian's confusion replaces his earlier coldness. His eyes soften, and he closes the distance, cupping my face in his hands. In a soothing voice, he pleads, "Is that what you think? Baby, no, that's not what I'm doing at all. Please don't ever think I'd be embarrassed to be seen with you. If anything, I'd love to shout it out to the world."

"Then why would you rush me out so fast? I don't understand" I say as I struggle to hold his gaze, trying to believe his words.

He sighs, releasing mt face and bringing me in for a hug while cradling my head to his chest. "I'm sorry, that was very rude of me. I thought I saw someone from a long time ago and I wanted to get out of there for my own reasons, never because of you."

I back up from his embrace slightly so I can look up at him, "But who would spook you so bad that you felt like you had to leave? I don't understand. Are you in some kind of trouble?"

He grabs my hand into his own and says, "It's really nothing. I realized as we were walking out that it wasn't who I thought it was. Everythings okay, I promise."

I look at him inquisitively but ultimately decide to let it go because after all, he doesn't owe me anything. After all, we've only been talking for a short while, we're probably not even close to the exclusivity talk. He has a right to his secrets just as much as I have a right to my own.

Sometimes I wonder if I'll always let people get away with not revealing themselves to me because I know I can never reveal myself to them. No one can ever know my secrets, including Christian.

I see the relief in his body as he realizes I'm not going to push him any further. I further instill that I trust him by grabbing his hand and continuing down the alleyway back towards our houses.

Christian visibly relaxes, and I reinforce my trust by grabbing his hand, continuing down the alleyway toward our homes. Though I've let it go, a lingering curiosity persists—who was the person that spooked him? What could make such a strong man scared? Do I really want to know?