Chapter Sixteen - Juliette

There's flames.

An inferno dances before my eyes, a shrill scream pierces through the woods and I find myself trapped. Despite my desperate attempts, my feet are stuck, refusing to carry me towards the danger of the fire. Speech continues to elude me and I can't face away from the heat of the flames. I'm held captive by my nightmare, I'm rendered helpless.

I wake up with a familiar startle. This dream is nothing new to me but as of recently instead of running I can't move at all. I'm not sure what is worse.

The next two days drag on for what feels like a lifetime. Now, waking up Saturday morning I quickly compartmentalize the dreams from last night and find that I can barely contain my excitement but also my nerves as I think about the gala tonight.

Just as I'm getting out of bed and throwing on my gray sweatshirt that I practically live in, I hear a knock on my door.

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead! Today's the day, and we have dress shopping to conquer!" Cassie's voice rings with infectious enthusiasm.

"Cass, it's not even 8 am. Stores won't open until 10. Give me a break," I respond, jesting as I open the door.

Cass breezes in, plopping onto the bed. "True, but we need to strategize: outfit plans, event expectations, and a touch of daydreaming about Prince Charming sweeping us off our feet—all before 10 am. So, we've got work to do!"

"Aren't we going for you to get into the sorority, not to find Prince Charming?" I tease.

Cass stands up, heading to the door. "Well, officially, it's for the girls, but there's no harm in eyeing some hunky football boys. So, get dressed, meet me downstairs in 5 minutes."

Next thing I know we're at our favorite dress boutique called "Vanessa's Dresses and More." Cass picks out at least 15 dresses as I continue to scan to find something that catches my eye. Almost giving up, my eyes catch a stunning black dress with a slit, a sweetheart neckline, and an open back adorned with lace—fitting like it was made for me. Excitedly, I rush to the dressing room, hoping it's the one.

"Okay," Cass shouts from the changing room next door. "On the count of three we're both going to come out in our favorite dresses and give each other our most honest and raw opinions on it. You didn't look in the mirror yet, right?"

"Yeah yeah. I didn't look in the mirror yet I know how this works." I say, "One, Two, Three."

We both step out and look at each other's dresses. Cass is wearing an absolutely stunning navy blue dress with a neckline and bodice that enhances her already beautiful features. She was absolutely incredible.

Cass looks at me with her jaw dropped. "Are you kidding me?!" She practically screeches. "You are the most incredible woman I've ever seen. I'm so proud I have such a beautiful best friend. You look like a true woman."

"You think I look incredible? Cass you're stunning that dress was made for you!"

Cass walks up to me and gives me a hug and then positions me so that I'm looking at myself in the mirror. My dress really is flattering and fits my body perfectly. I feel absolutely beautiful, something that I haven't felt in a long time.

"Alright," Cass says, "Let's get these dresses and go make our grand entrance!"