Chapter 56: The New God

Year 854
4 Days after the start of the Rumbling
Location: Coordinate

"I did not choose to be what I am, but I will choose who I become."
- Baldwin IV

Armin watched as Y/n comfortably approached him from the blue sand dune he was standing on. But he noticed something off about his childhood friend. Y/n swayed a bit during his walk, and he looked very pale.

 Y/n swayed a bit during his walk, and he looked very pale

Armin: Are you alright, Y/n? You look terrible.

Y/n shot him a faint smile as he came to a halt some distance in front of him.

Y/n: You sound like Pieck. How is she doing?

Armin: She's alright. Just very worried about her daughter and Lara's son.

Y/n: Tell her not to worry. They're both safe in a bunker deep under the Tower of Babel.

Armin raised an eyebrow, feeling as if he had to prove something and stand up to Y/n, whom he had buckled in front of before.

Armin: Why don't you do that yourself? She's your wife, not mine.

Y/n cocked his head and smiled at Armin sadly.

Y/n: Forgive me. I didn't intend to insult you, Armin. I just thought you could do me a favor, one brother to another.

Armin: Oh..

Armin's expression softened, and he relaxed his tensed shoulders, feeling as if he was a bit too harsh for no real reason.

Armin: Sorry. I don't know what came over me.

Y/n pointed at Armin's white hair.

Y/n: It's my blood that's invading your peaceful mind. You're getting corrupted further the more you allow aggression and hostility into your soul.

Armin: Freya also mentioned it. Did I really change?

Y/n nodded. Armin noticed how he swayed with his upper body a bit, almost as if he was intoxicated. Y/n usually is a very still person.

Y/n: Don't say changed. A person who truly cares about you will tell you that you've grown. Be it in a good or bad way, my blood forces its way into your personality and appearance. I see the shadows of your past lying on your feet as lifeless bodies. Good on you.

Armin didn't particularly like the cruel phrasing, but he agreed.

Armin: That's right. I'm not afraid anymore. Neither of you nor of being helpless. I will help myself and those who are dear to me.

Y/n smiled genuinely but faintly. He made sure to suppress his cough to not worry him. Armin definitely noticed that he breathed irregularly.

Armin: Why did you send everyone back but me? Let me guess. You want to tell us to back off, again?