2

The coffee wobbled dangerously on the tray as I placed it in front of the customer, my hands shaking. I'd been jittery all day, no doubt because of the tense way I'd left things with Jacob last night. I hated fighting, but I was tired of being trampled over. I valued honesty, and it was important to me that he knew how I felt.

Even though he was never open to hearing it.

"I ordered the coffee," the woman opposite him said meekly, "My husband wanted the tea."

Embarrassed, I nodded and quickly swapped their orders. "Sorry about that."

I walked away from the table, wondering how I could have gotten such a simple order wrong. Today really wasn't my day. If my manager had been around to see that disaster, I would've melted on the spot from his death glares alone. 

The rest of my Friday afternoon shift went by smoothly, mainly due to the lack of customers, and soon enough it was time for my break. I slid my phone out of my pocket and was surprised to see a number of missed calls from none other than Jacob. 

My eyes widened in surprise. Usually after a blow up he was the last person to reach out, especially when he hadn't got the last word in. I could only assume he must've wanted something from me.

Forget it.

Right now he was the last thing on my mind. After he'd stormed out last night, I'd done my own research and managed to track down my partner for the project. In reality id simply reached out to a couple of teachers and they'd given me his email, but a win is a win.

I immediately sent him an email.

To Luke,

Hi! I'm your partner for the art project, Louise. If it's ok with you I'd love to start as soon as possible. Would you be willing to meet this evening to talk ideas? I've sent my location. 

Louise. 

Had I been too forward? It had been over 12 hours and still radio silence. Not even a thumbs or some sort of reaction. Had it gone through?

My attention was brought back unto Jacob, his name flashing up on my screen. I answered the call begrudgingly. 

"What do you want Jacob?"

"Really? You're still giving me attitude."

"Look, if you're still going to pick a fight with me I'm going to hang up."

"Would it kill you to show me some sympathy? For once to tell me you're sorry and that you still love me?"

I paused, "I'm busy Jacob."

"I know you're on your last break, its almost 5 pm."

I rolled my eyes, loving and hating him for what he chose to pay attention to about me. He was a real pain.

"How has today been?"

I sighed, "The usual, uneventful. Coffee and more coffee."

"Want me to come keep you company?"

"Are you even available?"

"No. But you see, that's how much I'm willing to sacrifice for you." He mocked.

"What, your free time? I'm so grateful." I rolled my eyes. 

I heard him chuckle down the phone, "I'm guessing you haven't seen any of my messages considering you haven't brought it up yet."

"Brought what up?"

"The party tonight? I was telling you about it last week. My friend from the track team, it's supposed to be a huge one. You down?"