Prologue

"If you agree to marry Naaz Kazi, daughter of Kabir Kazi with one million taka as your wedding meher; then say 'Qubool' in agreement." Mr. Ahmad asks,

His voice was loud enough to echo in this large hall room filled with hundreds of people who are here to attend their wedding, and to be a part of our happiness.

My eyes are locked on him, waiting for him to say just one word Qubool for one last time. Then, they'll be one. They'll be husband and wife. And I? I will be at peace for keeping my promise to my late best friend Razzaq.

He had only one wish and demand before he died in cancer. Honestly, it wasn't a wish or demand but a dream for him. Dream to see his elder son getting married to my daughter Naaz. I still remember his last words with me, before he died.

"Kabir, I want you to take care of my sons. Like a father does. I want you to love my Siddique and Rizwan as much as you love your Naaz. Please Kabir. I don't want them to think they don't have a father. Please?"

"I promise. I'll try my best to give them all the love and care they deserve from a father. I know I can't take your place in their life, especially in Siddique's life. As he loves you a lot. I'll try my best. Be assured."

He did look satisfied with my words. I was determined to take care of them like I do of my daughter Naaz.

"Thank you. You're my true friend and brother."

"Don't thank me. It's my duty."

"Kabir,"

"Yes?"

"I need another promise from you," He looked a little hesitant

"Don't hesitate Razzaq. Be fearless and tell me what you want?"

I was desperate to do anything for him. Anything to please him. He was not just my friend but my brother. He was my family. Maybe more than a family.

When I got married to Sifat, going against my family. They didn't accept her and our marriage. I was embarrassed and heartbroken when my mother shut my house door on our face. Sifat and I were still in our wedding clothes. We just got married and came to my house where I used to live with my family.

I was lost. I didn't know what to do. Where to take her? We had no shelter to stay. At that time Razzaq my friend acted like an Angel. He asked me to bring my newly wedded wife to his home to stay as long as we want. When he already had a wife at home. Sister-in-law Amina. A nice lady. Who was his girlfriend once.

I didn't want to but I had to stay at his home. We stayed at his place for months until I arranged a place to live, where I live now. From that time Sifat and sister-in-law Amina became good friends more like sisters.

Sifat's love for Siddique is unimaginable. After all he was born in front of her. She took care of sister-in-law Amina and Siddique when she gave birth to him.

Back then the way he stood by my side when no one did. No one helped me but he did. I was always grateful to him. So, even if he had asked for my life that day I would have done that for him.

"Kabir, I want to see them together." He noticed I was confused with his words so he clarified next moment. "I mean Naaz and Siddique. I want Siddique to bring your daughter Naaz as his wife. But mostly as my daughter-in-law."

"Razzaq?" I was in shock. Because what he asked is something I always wished for. It was like we both thought the same. After all we were brothers from another mother.

"Kabir, you know I love her a lot. She is like my daughter. It's my dream to see them together and be happy. Please, make it happen. Even if I'm not here to see it. Promise me Kabir. Promise me?"

The desperation in his voice, the pain in his eyes knowing he won't be able to see it; see him grow up and get married, it always breaks my heart and makes my eyes moist with tears. Even right now, I have tears in my eyes.

"I promise, Razzaq. I promise I'll fulfill your dream. Even Sifat and I want the same." I gave my words holding his weak pale hands.

Then he gave me a beautiful smile. He was assured that I'll do it. He trusted me that I'll make it happen for him. The thought he trusts me so much made me cry, hugging him.

"I'll never break your trust in me. I promise."

"I know. I trust you Kabir."

Suddenly, I am panickicking seeing him sitting quietly looking down on his lap. Not uttering a single word. I quickly nudged Mr. Ahmed telling him to ask him once again. He looks lost in some thoughts. Maybe of his father. The thought only makes me sad and heartbroken. He has gone through a lot.

I walk behind him and grab his shoulder firmly giving him the assurance I'm here for him as his father. Not as Naaz father. He placed his hand on mine and grabbed it assuring me everything is fine. He is fine.

"If you agree to marry Naaz Kazi-"

He cuts him off, "Qubool,"

Shukar Allah

"Mubarak! Mubarak! Mubarak!" Everyone chants loudly in happiness. I did too patting on his shoulder.

Everyone was still chanting Mubarak for them but I walk out from there and comes in the garden area of the convention center. I look up in the dark sky covered in countless stars. A big smile comes on my face and eyes become moist with tears.

"I did it. I did it Razzaq. They're husband and wife now. Are you happy?"

I am sure he is happy. He is at peace now knowing well I kept my promise to him.

"We did it Razzaq. We did it."

But only they know how it happened. Because, Naaz wasn't ready for it at first. I wonder what magic Siddique did on her that she agreed to marry him that too happily.

••

To know what magic Siddique did on Naaz. Stay tuned here. ;)

(⁠☞⁠ ⁠ಠ⁠_⁠ಠ⁠)⁠☞ And didn't forget to vote and comment. Haha!

Thank you.