-4-

I shouldn't have said that to him

I shouldn't have said that to him. He hates Zahir because Zahir made fun of Razzaq uncle. He used to call him a ghost when he lost his hair and weight from chemotherapy, as if he were already dead.

"I'm sorry, Siddy." My eyes became moist, thinking about the pain he went through twice.

I should apologize to him. I ran after him in the direction he went. He hadn't gone far. I called his name a few times, but he didn't stop. He kept walking fast, ignoring me and my words. It hurt me so much that I started crying as I ran after him.

"Please, I beg you-" I paused as he finally stopped and looked back at me. "I am sorry," I said, sobbing.

He walked toward me with a straight face, as if he didn't care that I was crying. The thought hurt me deeply, but I didn't say anything because I knew I had hurt him more.

"Don't beg me. I'm a human, not a God. If you want to beg, beg to Allah. Anyways, what do you want?" He asked, raising an eyebrow with a frown.

I ignored his lecture and attitude and focused on apologizing. I had run to him, despite being a lazy person, because I felt it was important. I do so many things for him that I would never do for anyone else.

"I want your forgiveness. I'm sorry, Siddy. I know why you hate him so much. I do too. I just lost my temper in that moment because I think my husband should accept and love me as I am. Why would anyone try to change me? I know I'm not perfect like you, but I'm happy with who I am. I would love it more if my husband loved and accepted me as I am," I explained calmly.

"Are you done?" he asked.

"Yes," I nodded, sniffing. "I'm sorry again."

His eyes softened. "Naaz," his voice softened too, "I love you the way you are. But there are some things we shouldn't do, like cursing, lying, or showing the middle finger to people. These are basic things we can avoid. These are sins. I know it's a little hard for you, but I know you can do it." He took a pause before adding. "I don't want to be alone in heaven without you. I want you there with me." He pointed towards the sky.

I didn't say anything as he continued, "I want us to fight like Tom and Jerry forever, even in heaven. Without you, I will be bored. Without you, I am nothing." His honest words left me speechless, especially what he said at the end.

Without you, I am nothing. Sounds a little romantic, doesn't it? My heart said.

Shut up! It's nothing like that. We are just good friends. Dumbo! My mind scolded immediately.

"Naaz? Where are you lost?" His voice brought me back to the present.

"Nowhere." I shook my head sideways. "Siddy, I'll try to change myself a little for you, in a good way. Because, I will be bored without you too." I said, and we both chuckled a bit.