12|Lost In Tokyo

Lost Cause – Billie Eilish

The Past,

Miyeon’s trip to Japan to surprise Haechan was an unmitigated disaster.

Five hours ago, she slipped out of a taxi near Minato Ward in front of an impressive glass and concrete monstrosity that screamed exclusive.

Miyeon walked into the most beautiful lobby she had ever seen and got a weird feeling in the pit of her stomach. This place screamed wealth.

Surely, Haechan wasn’t doing so well that he lived here, did he?

When she told the concierge that she was married to Lee Haechan, she received blank, inquiring glances in return. The concierge would neither confirm nor deny that Haechan lived there. They didn’t care that she had come from Seoul or that she wanted to surprise him.

Even showing her ID granted her no special privileges. She had been forced to sit on the couch in front of a massive waterfall as she tried to get in touch with Haechan.

He hadn’t responded. As hours passed with no word, her anticipation and excitement began to dwindle.

Something was very wrong about all of this.

How could he afford to live here?

Haechan hadn’t mentioned that he had recovered financially or that his investments were paying off. He didn’t discuss money at all, and she never brought it up since it was such a sensitive topic between them.

Once she graduated, she chose a modest apartment. Haechan had fought her on it but had given in when she insisted that it was in a good location and convenient for her. He paid the rent and utilities even though she offered to help.

She assumed his infrequent visits to Seoul were due to how tight they were financially but if this is where he lived… what the fuck?

Her eyes moved over the luxurious lobby made of glass, gray marble, and gold statues.

In the five hours she had been waiting, no one had walked through the lobby. Not. One. Person. It was the strangest thing to watch hundreds of people walk past the impressive structure, but no one entered.

She had been hoping to catch Haechan on his way in, but that hope had died around hour two. A glance at the concierge desk told her they were gearing up to boot her.

They had been casting her suspicious looks throughout the day, and it seemed they had lost patience. She wasn’t used to feeling like an impostor. Being a Kwon ensured that she was given immediate access to everything she desired. Being a Lee meant nothing.

A month ago, Miyeon convinced Haechan to give her his address to send a birthday present. Maybe he had given this address while he stayed with a business associate, and she was wasting her time.