26. Soft Kiss in a Car Park Theatre

"She turned her scars into weapons, and her flaws into armor

"She turned her scars into weapons, and her flaws into armor."

.

As I stepped into the bustling lobby of the office building, the weight of Tracey's words about Mr. Bezos pressed down on me like a heavy stone. Thoughts swirled in my mind, doubts and questions vying for attention, each one more unsettling than the last.

"He had a habit of hiring female assistants, testing their vulnerabilities. But he'd always discard them because, in his eyes, Athena was the only one."

Tracey's voice echoed in my head, a haunting reminder of the potential deception lurking beneath the surface. Was I just another assistant in Mr. Bezos's game? Was he using me for his own gain, manipulating my trust for his own purposes?

The realization hit me like a slap in the face, a sharp jolt of clarity cutting through the haze of confusion. All those moments, those stolen kisses and whispered promises, suddenly felt tainted, stained with the possibility of manipulation.

I shook my head, trying to dispel the troubling thoughts that threatened to overwhelm me. But the doubts lingered, running like an open wound, refusing to be ignored.

I made my way through the lobby, my steps heavy with uncertainty, my mind consumed by confusion. Blair's voice cut through the fog of my thoughts, drawing me back to the present with a start.

"You're two hours late," he said, his brow furrowing with concern as he studied my face.

I forced a smile, trying to mask the turmoil raging inside me. "I'm fine. Maybe I had too many coffees and overslept."

But Blair wasn't convinced, his gaze searching mine for answers. "You are not telling the truth, Eleanor. Something is not right."

I swallowed hard, the lump in my throat growing with each passing moment. "I'm fine, Blair. I need to go upstairs. I don't want to be any later."

He reached for my bag, his expression softening with concern. "At least let me take your bag and walk you upstairs."

I hesitated for a moment, torn between the desire to push him away and the comforting familiarity of his presence. In the end, I gave in, handing him my bag with a silent nod of gratitude. What's the worst that could happen?

As we made our way towards the elevator, I couldn't resist the pull of the cafeteria. Another cup of coffee seemed like the only way to kickstart my day, to drown out the cacophony of doubts and uncertainties swirling in my mind.

Blair walked beside me, his presence a comforting anchor in the storm of my thoughts. His words cut through the silence, a gentle reminder of the distance that had grown between us in recent weeks.

"I know when something is wrong, Eleanor," he said softly, his tone laced with concern. "We haven't been out in a while, haven't shared a hot pie of cheesy stamina together. You must have found someone."