12. Whisky Numbs Pain

And She Distanced Herself Despite Being In Love

I tried hard to remember what had just happened. I stood there speechless, a flood of thoughts racing through my mind. I swallowed the gulp that had become stuck in my throat in an attempt to calm my nerves. For crying out loud, this man had a fiancé.

"Are you crazy, Mr. Bezos?" I exclaimed. "Are you drunk?" I tried to wiggle free from his grip.

He smiled against my still-wet lips and said, "Maybe I had a little too much to drink." His voice was hoarse. I couldn't move because his body was slipping. 

"You must immediately return to Athena," I demanded. Perhaps I should call her. But what would I tell her if I called her? Her man unexpectedly showed up at my house, invited himself inside, and unexpectedly kissed me. I didn't kiss him back but tried to send him home to her. Oh, come on, who would believe that nonsense?

"You know," he said as he sat down on the couch, "I miss her so much, and you remind me of her so much." "I grew all those roses with blood, sweat, and tears, and she ratted on me," he laughs. "It's funny how someone can hurt you that bad," he sniffs, looking at me sheepishly. "She was pure; her skin was soft, and she loved my roses." He ran his fingers through his hair. "I was so young." "It's strange how love can break one's soul," he said as he closed his eyes for a moment.

The room felt heavy with his words, the weight of his emotions palpable in the air. I watched him carefully, unsure of what to say or how to react. His confession hung between us like a fragile thread, threatening to snap at any moment.

He was shattered. But why was he telling me this? I knew he was drunk, but I couldn't help but wonder why I was the first person that came to mind. I couldn't figure it out.

"You are so beautiful," he said, his eyes heavy with admiration.

I opened my mouth to say something, but I was speechless. For a brief moment, I felt my heart race in my chest and my entire body warm.

"You can't stay here any longer." You must return home. "I'll call an Uber or a taxi to take you home." 

"Please don't," he said, his eyes glinting. "Please let me to stay here. I just want to breathe for a moment." His voice was fading, and he was mostly unconscious. I waved my hand over his face, hoping to see if he was awake, but he was unconscious.

I bit my fingernail, unsure what to do. But I tried to calm myself down and did what any decent person would do. I slowly removed his shoes and placed them next to the couch. I removed his jacket and placed it on the arm of the couch as gently as I could. 

I went looking for a blanket and wrapped it around his body while he slept. I heard the doorbell ring, but I was terrified. I had no idea what to do, especially since my boss was present and I was going insane. I gathered my courage and peered through the doorway. Sophie was standing at the door, holding a paper bag. Oh, no.