The Hitmon Trio

Since these three fighting types are all part of the same evolutionary line, I decided that instead of doing three separate chapters for each of them, I'd combine them into one big chapter.

Welcome my friends, to the first (and possibly only) Beedrill2001 Triple Feature!

I'll be going over these pokémon in depth like I would any other chapter, so I hope you're ready for a long read.

Going in Pokédex order, the first of the three I'll be covering will of course be the king of kicks himself, so let's begin.

(Before I talk about Hitmonlee, I'm just letting you know that I refer to these three pokémon all throughout this chapter as 'he' rather than 'it' because all of them are 100% male.)

#106 - Hitmonlee

Of the three Hitmons there are currently (I'm saying this as a bit of future-proofing just in case Game Freak makes another Tyrogue evolution at some point after this chapter comes out), Hitmonlee is probably my least favorite of them, but that's not to say I don't like this pokémon.

I actually think Hitmonlee is pretty cool, if not a bit weird design wise.

Seriously, Hitmonlee looks like a brown and slimmer version of Gossamer from Looney Tunes, but with hands and is wearing a pair of beige leg warmers.

I'm sure there's probably a specific thing or yokai Hitmonlee is designed after, so feel free to let me know what that is in the comments.

Many people (Americans mostly) believe Hitmonlee to be based on Bruce Lee, a famous actor and martial artist, but that's only true with the English name.

Hitmonlee's japanese name is Sawamular, which is a reference to Tadashi Sawamula, who has the nickname "The Demon of Kickboxing".

Big thanks to Google for this information.

(Still doesn't quite explain why Hitmonlee looks the way he does though.)

Not only is Hitmonlee an odd pokémon design wise, but his stats are pretty unusual as well.

Having a base stat spread of 120 attack, 53 defense, 35 special attack, 110 special defense, and 87 speed, where do I even begin with this pokémon?

That attack stat is insane, and having high speed defense is nice when two of the three types you're weak against primarily use special attacks like psychic and fairy (yes, before someone comments, I know physical moves of those types exist, but the majority of them are special, which is why I used the word primarily), but that defense stat is simply awful.

(Special attack is too, but honestly, Hitmonlee doesn't give a darn about his special attack, so let's move on.)

Movewise, Hitmonlee gets many kicking moves as you'd expect like Mega Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Jump Kick, and the fire type Blaze Kick, along with other coverage moves like Poison Jab, Earthquake, Lunge, Throat Chop, and Rock Slide.

One status move Hitmonlee gets that I would like to point out is Bulk up, which not only raises his already amazing attack, but increases defense as well, which is very much appreciated since that base 53 defense downright sucks.

As for abilities, Hitmonlee gets Limber and Reckless as the two it can have naturally.

Limber gives Hitmonlee an immunity to being paralyzed, and with how often you come across ways your opponent can induce paralysis like Stun Spore, Thunder Wave, the Static ability, Body Slam, and numerous electric type attacks, Limber is a downright amazing ability to have.