Chapter six

We've been running for almost the entire day. The sun was setting and we were all standing behind Ivor, watching the beautiful scenery as the sun disappears slowly behind the mountains.

Tonight is supposed to be a full moon. A chance for Ivor to have a bonding connection with all members of his pack. That meant that only members from his pack remained. Alphas and Betas from other packs weren't required to even run with us today, and I feel the only reason that Ares and Aionar stayed was because of me. The rest only stayed due to their close connection with my father.

As Iverene sits next to her brother, staring at the sun with just as much colour in her eyes, I can't help but feel strange about the moment we were having. Ever since I learned about the hierarchy in our wolf world, I've imagined this moment to belong to me. To stand long and tall in front of all of my pack members, promise them a future like nothing they've seen with previous Alphas and promise them protection with my life. After all, that was the true role of an Alpha. To protect.

I'd shift in my room every night of the full moon, and Iverene would stare at how beautiful the moon contrasted herself. Although her eyes matched the sun, the moon was a different kind of belonging. What would the moon even be without the sun?

Sometimes I'd feel that Iverene was the one making the moon visible from how long and focused she would stare at it. It was like the sun was in her eyes, and she was the one illuminating the moon with her light rays.

She'd howl in my mind, imagining our entire pack standing behind us. Imagining their voices howling back.

I'd promised her I'd work as hard as she does to give her the title she owned so rightfully. I'd repeat and recite it like an oath every month when she would stare into the open sky.

Iverene tilts her head to stare at Ivor's wolf. Ivoren was just a reflection of who she could've become. Bigger, stronger and powerful.

Being faster than Ivor meant nothing to my father. Apparently, an Alpha is determined by how strongly they can fight and hold their position in battle, not by how quick they could run away.

Ivoren turns to meet Iverene's eyes. Even though Ivor and I have competed next to each other for years to reach the same goal, our wolves had a connection that could never compare to human relationships. They've always had a strange need to protect one another. It feels like almost yesterday when our wolves first met five years ago. Small pups running after each other, planning on hunting the other wolf.

Ivoren nudges Iverene's cheek. He knew she was sad that she lost our long-life challenge, but he knew that strangely enough she was proud of him. Ivoren licks her multiple times, and when he stops, she takes a moment to rest her head on his body. The sun has disappeared, only existing in our eyes now.

We were all sitting on a cliff, below us land that does not belong to us. A territory where only the abandoned and forgotten roam before trespassing our invisible borders. Usually, patrol wolves are ordered to injure and bring the rogue back to the Alpha alive. And that was why every Alpha seals the bond with his pack on this cliff. To promise the forgotten that would hear his howls that he could provide a home for them if they deserved it. That he could be their protector.

Many pack members are getting emotional as Ivor begins to stand, and we all follow. That is because some of them are only here today due to my father's accepting heart and his determination to complete his role.

The moon is our only source of light now as Ivor begins to howl. We all follow his action, and strangely enough, some do the same from beyond just our group. Future pack members that are still on their journey to joining his pack.

Maybe one day I'd finally be able to walk away from my brother's shadow, and maybe one day I'll finally be able to stand in my own moonlight.