Chapter five

A walk of shame I'd never expected to have ever experienced. Returning back was like walking to your death trial in front of the people you've betrayed, waiting to be hanged in front of all of them.

Iverene is walking slowly now, and Ares's wolf is following close behind. Ivor's wolf is sitting down, and once he sees us, he stands up and walks close.

You're going to run next to Dixon. Ivor says, anger lacing his tone. I expected this to happen. After this sudden show of how fast Iverene was, he wouldn't let me run next to him. He wouldn't risk me outrunning him in front of his pack.

Iverene gives him a small nod, unbothered. She licks his cheek once before passing him. I don't know what happens between Ares and Ivor as they were behind me, but I near Dixon.

He ignores me completely and doesn't even try to mind-link me. Although he was a Beta wolf, my wolf towers over him easily. And Iverene makes sure to continue standing high.

Alright, we'll begin. Ivor's voice sounds through the entire pack's mind because they all stand up.

Although Ivor cannot mind-link the Alphas running with us today, they get the message and stand up, too. Suddenly, I don't feel as big as I thought I was a minute ago.

The order went something like this. Ivor, the Alpha of this pack, then the Alphas of the other pack that were joining us, then all Betas and finally the pack members. Our parents weren't going to join us on this run. I'm standing behind the Alphas and with the Betas, which bothers me. I see Ares's wolf nearing close. He was panting and his tongue was out as he approaches another Alpha to stand next to him. I'm bothered.

Ivor begins to run, changing the path slightly as he nears the border, and I don't understand why he does this. But soon while running, the wolves spread and we were no longer huddled between one another.

Iverene sees it as an opportunity to penetrate the Alpha line slightly, not fully entering through. She's running as slow as she can so that she doesn't, but she's only waiting for me to not reject the idea.

I ignore her, afraid of what my answer could be. It's tempting. Dixon wasn't too close, so we could soon make a run for it. At least, that's what I thought could happen. Because almost instantly, Dixon is in my head.

What do you think you're doing?

I'm running. I respond sarcastically, rolling my eyes internally. What else would I be doing?

You're running too fast. Tell Iverene to stop.

That's the slowest we can go.

Ivy. He says with the same voice he's used on me all those years, and I'm reminded of how dear Dixon was to me. That was the same voice my childish self used to fantasize over all night. And the same voice I now can't say no to.

Iverene is angry; she doesn't try to hide it. She does slow down, only to give Dixon a warning growl before returning back to her usual pace. I silently cheer her. But Dixon would be bugging me, and not her.

Ivy, I'm serious. Ivor is already angry.

A branch breaks from next to us, and Iverene tilts her head slightly for us to be able to see Dexter, Dixon's wolf, catching up to us. His wolf was a light brown, his eyes a hazel colour. And he was warning us.

Don't challenge her. I tell Dixon. Tell Dexter to stop. This time, I'm the one giving him the warning.

I'm not challenging. I'm keeping an eye on you. You really think I'd be running here if you hadn't caused trouble? He's saying aggressively. But that makes me realise that Ivor was running without his Beta by his side... was he running alone?