Chapter 19: Laughing Coffin

A/N: Alright, i think chapter may be longer than the Yoimiya date chapter but i'm not sure, anyway, it's long, and we get the second last event in the MC's character arc before he undergoes a pretty drastic change himself, which will happen in either the next chapter or the one after that.

Anyway, enjoy the carnage.

As the sun began its gradual descent beneath the horizon, you leaned against a sturdy stone wall, gazing up at the sky. The hues of orange and pink melded together in a breathtaking display.

After a moment, you tore your gaze away from the sky, turning your attention to the bustling streets below. Players of all ages and sizes filled the thoroughfares, chatting and laughing as if this were the real world, and for many, this virtual realm was indistinguishable from reality.

However, you weren't one of them, and with a mind burdened by numerous thoughts, a solitary walk seemed to be the only thing that could calm your currently racing mind. Thus, you found yourself on the 50th floor, which had been unlocked only days ago, observing your fellow players go about their daily routines.

But amidst the crowd, certain thoughts plagued your mind more than others...

Shenhe: I love you...

Clorinde: For that... I love you.

You let out a frustrated sigh, narrowing your eyes in annoyance. It had been a month since Shenhe and Clorinde had confessed their feelings to you, yet you remained uncertain about how to proceed with that new information.

Nevertheless, as Shenhe had warned you, now that you were aware of their feelings, you couldn't help but notice their obvious advances, which they made no effort to conceal.

Y/N: (I can't focus on that right now... I just have to continue to trust in Yoimiya, and everything will be fine.)

You sighed once more, sliding your hand through the empty air before you, summoning a blue holographic menu in front of your face.

Y/N: (On another note...)

Your eyes scrutinized the menu in front of you, lingering on a single skill that had appeared randomly a few days prior. You had never heard about it, and it wasn't on any of the info brokers skill lists... you should know, you made it a point to memorize them all.

Y/N: (Weapon Mastery... This unique skill grants its user the ability to switch weapons at will, without the use of the menu screen.)

You crossed your arms over your chest, as you observed the passing players through your menu, most of whom paid you little mind, and the few that did glance your way turned away only moments later.

Your fame had taken a significant hit, being largely claimed by the new Knights of the Blood Oath and the Clear Team—a development you were extremely pleased about.

However, along with their fame came significant drawbacks. And over a span of two months, the Knights of the Blood Oath, and Clear Team had only managed to advance up to the 50th floor, then failed twice to defeat the floor 50 boss.

This sparked rumors among players about the Clear Team's perceived weakness, making both recruitment and retention of members increasingly challenging for all three guilds within the Clear Team. Some players even opted to leave the guilds due to their lack of progress.

Y/N: (Well, the skill seemed useful enough... Perhaps I can use it to trick Kayaba as well.)

You hummed in contemplation, fingertips grazing your chin.

With your second hyper-clear about to commence any day now, every weapon you had at your disposal would be utilized to its fullest. Whatever it took.

You could taste freedom, it was so close... but you couldn't rush. You knew that if you did, it would only backfire.