XXIII

"Hi, baby!" I almost jump on my seat when I heard my mother's burst from our center staircase. Agarang isinara ang portfolio na hawak at sinalubong siya upang batiin.

"Hi, mom. I miss you so much!" I replied, kissing her cheeks. I immediately saw the silhouette of my dad coming down the stairs. He was fixing his cuffs, mukhang papasok pa lamang sa trabaho.

My mom's dark blonde hair is longer now than the last time I saw her. Lampas na iyon sa kanyang bewang, still curling naturally at the ends. But her beauty never seems to age. She's still as beautiful and elegant as ever.

Ang mga matang kuhang-kuha ko, tila niyebeng balat at mapulang mga labi. She still looks dashing as I can remember. I would never fail to justify why Dad is so head-over heels for her, I mean she's a literal Goddess personified.

"I've been trying to contact you but I get getting directed to Ivah. Busy ka ba this past few weeks? It's almost September."

"Oh mom, you wouldn't want to know! I'm working by minutes!" Pagod kong saad sa kanya ng makaupo na ulit kami sa sofa.

The house is gigantic for the both of them but they don't seem to feel lonely in this mansion. My mom practically had me before her wedding with my dad. Some rumors say that 'pinikot' ni Dad si Mom to secure the wedding and it was a very messy scandal back then. I never dare to ask for a sibling too, I mean - I love being the center of attention, right?

"Is Ivah overworking you? I must talk with her if I must, dear. Your health is as much as important as all of your work, Selene. Don't push yourself too much."

"Mom, no need. Besides, we both accept all of these deals months ago. Hindi lang namin na foresee na magiging jammed pack ng ganito ang schedule dahil naging busy 'din kami nang mga nakaraang buwan."

"You had a successful show on the D&G, I'm so proud of you!"

"Thank you, mom."

"You did great there, Selena." I smiled at Dad when he mentioned those then planted a small kiss on my mom's head.

"I'm gonna head to the office, love. Will you drop by around lunch with Selena? Let's eat together. I'll clear my schedule."

"Honey, you don't need to. You have a presentation with that construction company, right?"

"You mean Decastro's? Yes, indeed. But I want to spend time with my daughter too."

"You're too cheesy, Dad." Pang aasar ko na siyang ikinailing niya.

"Just drop by at lunch." Natawa naman ako ng makitang kumunot ng bahagya ang mukha niya. Mom squeezes his arm before kissing him goodbye.

"So, how are you dear?" Agarang tanong niya na tila nag-aantay ng balita galing sa akin. I couldn't help but put my lips into a fine line as I looked at her excited face, not sure if I tell her about Emir.

Or would she even be fine with the kind of relationship that I have?

I'm very open with my parents about my life, the only thing they ask in return for my freedom is my honesty. I've never raised a liar that's why I don't know how to whisper one. Kaya nanatili akong tahimik sa tanong ng ina.

It was a blissful month. After Emir's birthday party, I never get to see her regularly dahil sa back-to-back schedules naming dalawa. The last time I saw her was a week ago since she's in Cebu right now for a shoot on her regular clients there. We never get to see each other before she catches her flight.

"It's just the usual, Mom. I'm just busy with work and preparing for the September party." Safe kong sagot sa kanya. Her eyebrow raises upon my answer, unimpressed by the lack of information.