13. Thief Singh Suryavanshi

Start from the beginning

"So, now the fact that I'm offering you food is somehow unacceptable to you?"

"It's not just about the food, Sanskaar. It's about your controlling nature. Am I your pet that you're offering food to?"
"Am I someone living at your mercy, or are you trying to play the hero with these sudden acts of kindness?" she challenged, her voice tinged with frustration. "One moment you're shouting at me, and the next you're acting like the most caring person in the world."

I used the word offering because it still sounds better than giving food. And here this woman is make a hill out of mole.

"Now, you thinks I'm being controlling? Woah!"

"Woah, it is!" Her words sliced through the air like a blade, each accusation laced with bitterness and anger. "What else will you call it but controlling? You married me against my will, you've dictated every aspect of my life since our first night together. You even compared me from an animal and today you forced me to go back with you. What more evidence do you need to see that you are controlling?"

The weight of her accusations hung heavy in the air, her arms crossed defiantly over her chest, her eyes flashing with a mixture of hurt and frustration. I stood there, stunned into silence, her words echoing in my mind like a relentless drumbeat. Had I truly been blind to the extent of my actions?

No! Everything I've done has been for her well-being, yet she's painting me as the villain. Why did I have to confront her father? I could have avoided it altogether. But no, I did it because she's my wife. She mis mine to protect.

"Do you really think you're in any position to accuse me of forcing you back after the stunt you pulled today? You were supposed to be at your parent's home, and where did I find you? At the bus stop!" I stepped closer to her, lowering myself to her eye level, speaking directly into her face as she flinched back.

If she wants to argue, then so be it.

"Why does it matter to you where I am? It's not like I'm running away from you; I would have returned."

Maybe I'm always wrong at figuring out women. They're all the same. Our efforts never matter to them. And yet, we men are fools to fall in love. I made this mistake once, but never again.

"It matters to me because you carried my name along with you and my family's reputation. I can't let you tarnish that. What would people have thought if they found you roaming at the bus stop? That we don't care about you?" I shot back.

It's like even my own words were piercing me. Am I the same Sanskaar?

"Oh! So all this was for reputation, Mr. Suryavanshi?" Her eyes, brimming with unshed tears, belied the defiance in her tone. "If you have this much of a problem, then I should get your reputation removed from my name. I am done with handling reputation; you better be handling it."  In that dimly lit room, her face seemed to radiate with an ethereal glow, a haunting reminder of the emotions we both struggled to contain.

She turned to leave, but before she could take another step, I reached out, seizing her wrist and pulling her back to me. Our bodies collided in an intimate tangle, her chest pressed against mine, her wrist still in my grasp. "Don't you dare," I whispered leaning close to her, my voice laced with a desperation I couldn't hide.

I couldn't let her slip away, not now. Our marriage wasn't a choice we made willingly, but a circumstance thrust upon us by fate. And in that moment, I knew she could never escape the tangled web that bound us together.

"Why did you agree to marry me if you despise me so?" I growled, the question hanging heavy in the air between us. "Mara nhi ja rha tha tumse shaadi ke liye"