13. Thief Singh Suryavanshi

Karta nahi kyun tu mujhpe yaqeen
Kyun mere dil ki tu sunta nahi

Hmm...
Tere bagair kitna tanha sa hoon
Aalam yeh dil ka tu samjhe kabhi
Hai pataa yeh tujhe
Na jee sakunga bin tere
Phir bhi kyun mujhse judaa... Tu...

Sankaar

I lay there, lost in thought with my eyes shut tight. I didn't even notice when she finished her bath and came back. She approached me cautiously, like I was some dangerous animal. It annoyed me. Did she really think I'd hurt her? Was I just a scary figure to her?

Watching her tip-toe around me made me realize something. Maybe I hadn't shown her the softer side of me enough. Maybe I needed to change too. But she had to meet me halfway. We couldn't keep living like this, always tense around each other.

I decided then and there that things had to change. I'd work on controlling my temper, but she needed to see me for who I really was, not just the angry guy.I will have to work upon this habit of hers as well. I will have to change this woman completely, making her Vaidehi Suryavanshi from the scared Vaidehi Chauhan.

I kept my smile pressed tight, pretending to be lost in slumber as she playfully counted her fingers in front of my face. It was endearing, her innocent curiosity. She repeated the gesture several times, seemingly convinced of my deep sleep.

She looked cute doing so.

Then, unexpectedly, she took my hand in hers. A jolt of electricity shot through me at the touch, and I couldn't help but let out a soft sigh. 

What black magic are you doing wifey?

She cleaned my wound with care, and then expertly applied the bandage. I grudgingly admitted to myself that this bandage wasn't so bad.

Just as she finished, there was a knock on the door, and Ma called out to her. I could sense her hesitation as she made her way back to me. I am really loving this act.

 "Mr. Suryavanshi," She called me out in her little sparrow tone. Had I not been focusing on her I wouldn't have heard it.

After attempting to wake me several times, she seemed to give up.

"Sanskaar!" She leaned in closer, shouting my name directly into my ear, filling my senses with the scent of roses and lavender. I grabbed a nearby cushion and pretended to cover my face with it.

"Sanskaar Singh Suryavanshi!" She shook my arm, but I just grumbled and continued with my charade.

"Kumbhakaran!" With a swift motion, she yanked the cushion from my grip and tossed it aside, then proceeded to shake me vigorously while shouting.

Easy there, woman. You'll make me deaf.

And just when I thought she had given up, she surprised me by pouring water over me.

"Argh!" I grumbled, instinctively pulling her down with me. But it backfired, and we both ended up tumbling onto the small sofa, with me inadvertently landing on top of her.

I felt a sudden jolt as I realized her hand was gripping my shoulder, a drop of water from my lips landing on hers. Our eyes locked for a moment, a strange intimacy enveloping us. But then she pushed me away, breaking free from the closeness, and marched straight to the bathroom.

After an exhausting negotiation to convince her to eat, I finally slid the plate toward her.

"You can eat first; I will eat after you. Now, okay?" I suggested.

She looked at me for a moment, her expression darkening as she narrowed her eyes.

"Why are you suddenly being so considerate? Did you forget your own rule about not interfering in my life?" she asked, folding her arms defiantly. I clenched my jaw in frustration.