6

Instructor Tara and Ruby pounded their feet in unison on the path back to The Root. As a former student in one of Tara's first pods, the instructor carved out time to check in with the young woman–now in their 20th cycle. And on their third cycle in their apprenticeship–one cycle away from being locked into her role as Rosemary's apprentice.

Becoming the next Head Healer; automatically becoming a Wise One as well.

"How are you enjoying your studies with Ro?" Instructor Tara wondered.

They could see members from the tribe drifting along the peaceful river ahead of them. Some tribe members immersed themselves in their usual routine of catching fish for the tribe. The steady flow spellbound others, consumed by leisure as they drifted on their paddle boards.

"It's interesting...," she paused to find the words, "... staggering at times." She confessed.

"How so?"

"I..." Ruby always got nervous when speaking to Instructor Tara. She still couldn't shake the feeling that she was being assessed.

Also, it's no secret that the teacher is against her placement of apprenticeship.

While the title of being a Wise One is ambitious, it comes with many conditions. The kind that Tara sensed rock Ruby on a core level.

"I'm overwhelmed sometimes by all that I thought I knew."

"Hmm."

She laughed a little, "But I've concluded I know absolutely nothing."

Instructor Tara chuckled with her. "Sounds like you've discovered one of the big secrets."

"How many more are there?" Ruby asked.

The two approached the bridge, giving slight head nods to a distracted first-guard on duty–obviously preferring to be hanging out on Garnet's river.

The instructor laughed again. "I'm still counting." She said as they continued across.

Ruby sighed.

"I have another question." Tara stated; she couldn't help herself.

"Yes?" Ruby gulped as she detected a serious conversation brewing.

"What are your feelings about not being able to start a family?"

The question caught her off guard. Though it was one that was constantly on her mind.

"I understand why it's a condition." She replied simply. "Besides..." Ruby stopped herself.

Instructor Tara picked up where she left off, "... the only person you'd want to start a family with has made themself unavailable?"

Ruby held a silent blush.

Caught in the middle of a group activity, children from the young pods were helping in the harvesting field. It seemed they were plucking cocoa beans lined on the outside—preparation for a lesson in fermentation, no doubt.

The two women avoided passing through to not disrupt their flow.

"He could be ready one day." The instructor tried convincing Ruby as they made a path to the back entrance.

"Doubt it." Ruby sighed under her breath.

"He's worried about Sky, is all. We all are. But that won't be his responsibility once she takes her trials." Tara reminded her.

"He will still make it his responsibility." Ruby commented as they entered the enclosure of huts.

The pair turned left, past the healer's greenhouse and towards the third hut located inside of one of Garnet's original shelters.