28. Both are Same!

Start from the beginning

"Main kabhi ye samajh hi nhi paayi ki vo Athulya maari nhi thi, par vo zinda bhi nhi tha. Usse jeene ka haq hi chen liya gaya tha aur bas uski lash hi bacchi.."

("I never understood that Athulya wasn't killed, but she wasn't alive either. Her right to live was taken away, and only her corpse remained..")

"And that made you think you are weak?" Akshara asked.

"Enough of this self-doubt! You've faced horrors most people can't even imagine, and yet here you are, still standing. You've shown incredible strength just to make it through each day. Don't let anyone, especially that monster, make you believe otherwise. How could you just say you are weak?" 

She didn't say anything, just kept staring at the ceiling. "You know, Veer, I used to love chocolates and ice cream," she finally spoke, her voice barely a whisper.

"I remember," I whispered back, realizing she knew I was there.

"H-he used to bring them for me. It made me hate them," she confessed, her words heavy with pain.

I felt a tear escape my eyes. How badly I wished I could protect her from everything. From this world, or rather, create a better new world for her.

She fell silent for a while, her emerald eyes unblinking, fixed on the ceiling.

The door opened, and Ma entered silently. Perhaps she didn't realize her presence either, as Athulya didn't react, just continued staring at the ceiling.

"Aashu," Ma called out, but she didn't respond. "Laado," she tried again, but still, there was no reaction.

She just kept looking at the ceiling, lost in her thoughts. Slowly, she got up from the bed and walked towards the window, and I followed her. She stood there, gazing out at the world beyond.

"Veer, I need the list of all the guests you people invited," she said, her voice steady despite the turmoil within her, not once tearing her gaze away from the window.

"You will get it, Adi is working on it," she reassured, her voice calm but determined. And then she hummed softly.

"Baccha, thoda sa khana kha le, subah se kuch nahi khaya hai," Akshara pleaded gently, bringing her some food. But she walked back, refusing to eat.

("Baccha, please eat a little, you haven't eaten anything since morning,")

"Just a few bites," Ma urged softly, hoping she would take at least a little nourishment.

"No, Ma, nothing can go down my throat right now or I will have to throw up again," she replied softly, her voice strained with emotion.

Turning around, I walked out of the room, softly closing the door behind me. I needed to check on how far the work had progressed.

As I retrieved my phone from my pocket, before I could dial, Adi, my manager, called me himself.

"How far have you people reached?" I asked impatiently.

"We have compiled the whole list, boss. It contains the details of every single person present there, whether insider or outsider," Adi replied promptly.

"Hmm... call them tomorrow and send me their details. I have to go through them first," I instructed.

"But boss, many of them are prominent businessmen-"

"Businessman or not, I don't give a single fuck about them. They can go to hell for all I care, but if any of them turns out to be the man I am searching for, I won't even let him go to hell for salvation. And make sure the details are accurate; I want every slightest detail of their personal and professional lives," I interjected firmly.