Chapter 15

Within a couple of minutes, the four of us were hiding in another bush on the side of the road, waiting for the right moment to come out and ambush them. Felice had a solid grip on our sword, Jagos was maneuvering a fireball around in his hand, and Vionna was keeping an eye out.

"Any sign yet?" I whispered to Vionna.

"It's getting closer," said Vionna, "But not close enough. I'll let you know when we're ready to jump."

"Why are they attacking the camp in three different groups?" Jagos said, "Wouldn't it make more sense to attack in one big one? Wouldn't that overpower us?"

"I don't think overpowering us was the plan," I said, "They must have been trying to divide and conquer, and do it as quietly as possible. My guess is they wanted your mother because she's their 'vessel,' and they wanted the boys to keep me away, or lure me somewhere."

"Away from camp?!" Jagos asked.

"Exactly," I said, "And that's what they're doing now. Since they think I'm going after you and your mother, they think the camp isn't secure, and that means they can take advantage of it."

"Why do they want to hurt Mom so bad?" Baugh asked.

"They want to turn her into a weapon," said Jagos bitterly, a hint of knowing in his voice as well, "They want to destroy everything she is, and make her do things she'd never do otherwise, because they're all crazy and think they're the smartest people in the world."

Tears were on the cusp of spilling from Jagos' cheeks. I turned to him and gently placed my hand on his cheek.

"We won't let what happened to you happen to her," I said, "I promise, honey."

Jagos smiled, but it was a sad one. I hated thinking of the things the poor boy must have gone through before Rhys and I found him, and he definitely thought the same, but it was all in the past now.

"Get ready! They're coming!" Vionna suddenly whispered. I snapped to attention, Felice took over my body, and she got ready to draw my sword as the sounds of feet stomping the dirt got ever so closer.

I peeked out to get a feel for the situation, just as the group of guards came into view. I shuddered at the sight of the empire's stupid symbol being carried on a big flag by one of the men, a classic symbol of a raid that I recognized from video games I used to play with Diane back in high school.

"On my cue, we attack," I whispered to the others, "No one gets spared, we can't let them get anything back to the castle, got it?"

"Got it." said Vionna, and the boys nodded as well. I shot them a grin, and held up my hand, waiting for the just the right moment. The guards came closer, so close that I held my breath so they wouldn't hear me.

Right when they were on top of us, right next to the bush, I yelled, "NOW!" and jumped on the guy who was right next to me. I didn't even need Felice's help to put him down, since I was so up close and personal, not to mention I got the jump on him, and he was bleeding out within a couple of seconds. When I looked up, I saw Baugh and Jagos dropping three other men, and the rest were already down and out thanks to Vionna, who was moving about as fast as the speed of light.

In about a minute or so, the whole group of soldiers was dead, and we were walking back down the road towards camp.

"I couldn't be prouder of you boys!" I said, hugging both of them, "Wait until the rest of the camp hears about what you've done!"

"I have to say, the way you took those men down so fast was impressive," Vionna said, "Genuinely. I can see little soldiers in the two of you."

"Thanks, Aunt Vi!" said Baugh. Vionna smiled when she said that.