The beginning of the end

Elena trudged through the desolate streets, her boots kicking up clouds of ash with each step. The once bustling city now lay in ruins, its buildings reduced to crumbling facades. She scanned her surroundings, her eyes sharp for any signs of danger.

As she turned a corner, she nearly stumbled over a fallen sign, its rusted metal barely clinging to the cracked pavement. Cursing under her breath, she regained her balance and pressed on, her heart pounding in her chest.

Suddenly, a noise echoed through the silence, a faint shuffling coming from the alley up ahead. Elena froze, her hand instinctively reaching for the knife strapped to her belt. She listened intently, her senses on high alert.

"Who's there?" she called out, her voice echoing off the empty buildings.

There was a moment of tense silence before a figure emerged from the shadows, hands raised in a gesture of surrender.

"It's just me," a voice replied, the words tinged with relief. "I mean you no harm."

Elena's grip on her knife tightened as the figure drew closer. She studied him cautiously, taking in his disheveled appearance and wary expression.

"What are you doing here?" she demanded, her voice cold and commanding.

The man hesitated, his eyes darting nervously around the alley.

"I was just...looking for supplies," he finally answered, his voice barely above a whisper.

Elena narrowed her eyes, studying him for any signs of deception. Satisfied that he posed no immediate threat, she relaxed slightly, though her hand remained firmly on her weapon.

"Well, you won't find much here," she replied, her tone dripping with skepticism. "This place has been picked clean."

The man nodded, his gaze never leaving Elena's face.

"I figured as much," he said, his voice tinged with resignation. "But I had to try."

Elena regarded him for a moment longer before sheathing her knife and taking a step back.

"Fine," she said, her tone begrudgingly. "You can come with me. But stay out of my way."

The man nodded gratefully, falling into step beside her as they continued down the deserted street.

"By the way," he said, glancing over at Elena. "I'm Alex."

Elena regarded him with a hint of surprise, noting the warmth in his eyes despite the grimness of their surroundings.

"Elena," she replied, offering him a curt nod. "And don't get any ideas. We're only traveling together because it's safer that way."

Alex chuckled softly, his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Of course," he said, his tone teasing. "Wouldn't want to cramp your style, tough girl."

Elena scowled at him, though she couldn't suppress the flicker of amusement that danced in her chest.

"Just keep up," she muttered, quickening her pace. "And try not to get yourself killed."