Chapter 15

The icy stone floors bit into Vipin's bare feet. Ajlen noticed her walking on the balls of her feet, on her tiptoes, her heels, the side of her soles on rotation to try to keep them warm, almost slipping down the stairs multiple times from it. Liam had noticed too, trying to keep her supported to prevent her from slipping.

When they reached a landing - directed into a tunnel they weren't going to head down - Ajlen scooped her up in his arms. She started to protest trying to wiggle her way out of his grasp, but Liam shot her a chastising look that he mainly reserved for his siblings, so she settled with a disgruntled look on her face, ears pinned to the sides of her head.

She hadn't quite figured out how to feel about this new elf, or what his motives were. But he was keeping distance between her and Ryland, which was something she was grateful for. He was also currently carrying her through a mountain because she was freezing and exhausted, and he was so warm she had to keep herself from drifting off. Her head starting to lean against his chest before she had to pull herself from her near slumber.

He reminded her a bit of Rheagon, reserved but openly kind, so she decided he was alright. For now.

Oasid led them back to the hot springs, opening the door for them, Ajlen setting her down in front of a spring, the warmth stinging the bottom of her feet. The air almost too hot for her now that she had been so cold, nearly burning her skin. "I'll be back soon with a change of clothes for you," Oasid nodded to her and left the room.

Vipin folded her jacket and put it off to the side of one of the springs, sinking herself into the water. Liam undressed himself and sat across from her.

"Able to bathe two days in a row? We're being spoiled."

Vipin laughed, itching her eyes with her hands but causing dirt and ash to get into them making them itchy.

"How're you feeling?" He asked softly.

"Tired," she responded meekly.

"Have you ever used magic before?" Ryland asked curiously, lowering himself into the spring across from them.

"Mnmm," she mumbled, shaking her head, much too tired to snap back at him for this morning.

"Well," Ajlen started, sitting himself at the edge of the spring crossing his legs. "You used a lot of it today. It would make sense that you're exhausted."

Vipin looked down at the ash disintegrating in the water, off of her hands. She rubbed them together gently, watching the underwater cloud form. She could feel their eyes on her, waiting for something but she didn't know what. That seemed to be the common theme of the recent events, strangers expecting things from her before she understood or even knew what they were.

She dipped her face under the water rubbing it clean of dirt with her hands. Her hair fell into the water, she pushed It back from her face. She tried to use her fingers to comb through the knots, unable to untangle a single strand, considering cutting it off once Echo was returned to her. But the thought was gone as quickly as it came.

Once, during her training when she was younger, she was determined to cut her hair. It was a nuisance, getting tangled and in her face, she could never seem to keep it tamed enough to stay pulled back. It was agitating to say the least and it was getting in her way.

She was already in front of the mirror, blade to her locks when her father came into the room. He took four quick paces and snatched the knife from her hand.

He sat her down and gently explained that she couldn't cut her hair, because it was tradition in her mother's family to grow it long. That it signified strength and wisdom, courage and kindness. It would be important to her mother and her mother's family and by extension it was now important to her father.